• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I'm now working for FORD!

Mnstr50

Hey everyone, after being unemployed for over 8-months, I decided to pursue a career opportunity with my local Ford dealer as a saleman. It's completely outside of my current work experience (over a decade of banking, mortgage, credit analysis, and consulting), however, I've been on the other end of the desk before (as a buyer) and I've always dreaded the experience. Typically, you get stuck with a salesmen that isn't remotely an automotive enthusiast, let alone Mustangs. I'm not a sales person by nature, and I understand the focus on the buyer's end (having been one multiple times myself). I just wanted to extend this opportunity to my fellow Mustang friends who might be entertaining the idea of purchasing a new or used car. Please contact me (via PM) if you'd like some more details. I'll be working for a high-volume store, and I can certainly accommodate members nationwide (establishing tax, title, delivery and registration).

Chris

Blown347

Staff member
Definitely true. I've never met a car salesman that was even remotely an enthusiast. And it always made sense to me that a salesman that was one of us should naturally have more success (with the right sales training) vice someone who isn't. Good luck!

broncojunkie

Congrats on the new job! My fiance just got a job working sales at the local chevy dealership, lol! We have 2 Fords we both drive and I just purchased 2 Fox body GTs yesterday. I told her she could sell them all day long, but she's driving home in a FORD! :D

John2002

Yep, our last salesman had that look.....the look of who else came in the dooor after us... but when we told him it was a cash buy......all eyes on us!!!! My 07 Ranger was an out of state swap and the day we picked it up was the last time we heard from the dealer. My Father-in-law bought a new KIA that same year and all the mail and calls he got the fist year was almost annoying!!!! I know its not a job for everyone, SALESMAN sell, the more you sell the more you make....if you don't sell you don't stay... We have had 3 new cars in the last 7 years, Saturn ...gone... the two Fords from different dealerships are now under new ownership. People aren't in the mood to find cars that have some of the options they want or get you into something close to your needs. I"m sure if Pizza Hut ( just for example) made pizzas around the clock hoping people wouuld buy them every minute or else they'd have to have end of the day sales or final year clearences like so many of the car makers have to do. $27,000 for a new 4 door compact car/suv...$35,000 for a pick up and $45,000 plus for a luxury car...and these cars are already on the lots waiting to be sold.......I can't believe "The Costumer Come First" is spoken anywhere in a new car show room. Good Luck Chris, Ford, GM, Chrylsler....GOOD LUCK...

Mnstr50

Thanks for the positive support and experiences everyone!

I completely agree, most of the time you go into a dealership and the salesman just wants to push a unit, instead of focusing on the customers needs. Personally, I also feel new car prices are outrageous! Having played the game "finding the best deal", I have several tools at my disposal to insure the most cost contious purchase plan for the buyer. I'm not concerned with the comission, because at the end of the day, my conscience is what I have to live with.

On a lighter note, I hope to find a coyote crate motor into my second notchback! lol

broncojunkie

I took my fiancé around to some car lots Tuesday so she could watch the sales pitches and learn a little, since she is new to car sales. We went to multiple major dealers (Ford and Chevy) and we only had one sales person approach us. That was at a local Ford dealership. And that guy only came out after we walked around the lot for a good 15 minutes, and after we made 2 laps in the car around the lot and right in front of the office area. The guy that came out was a skinny young punk with one of those long scraggly goatee beards. He must have been around 19 years old and knew nothing about cars. Period.

Another lot we went to, a Chevy dealer, had a tent set up outside and 3 or 4 sales people standing under it. We were the only customers on the lot. We also drove past them twice, then got out and started looking at the inventory. We walked around for at least 20 minutes and she even went inside the office to use the restroom. The sales staff never even approached us.

We weren't dressed like vagrants. I'm 40 yrs old and she's 38, so we're not kids. I found it very hard to believe no one wanted to even try to sell a car! I guess even if you just walk out and introduce yourself, you're already a step ahead of most sales reps!

John2002

No way, I guess they can't get it right ever. I think we just have to do it all by ourselves like we do at department stores....walk around till you find what you like then bring it up to the register. We can't order a car anymore so why do we need a "SALESMAN" ??? Get with the times big 3, If you keep making cars that no one ordeded then why do you need people to "try" and sell them??? I've been looking on the web the last few nights at some used Saturn Vues. Other then paper work I could have bought one on-line, driven to the dealership then sign a few papers and then drive out.

Last edited:

broncojunkie

No way, I guess they can't get it right ever. I think we just have to do it all by ourselves like we do at department stores....walk around till you find what you like then bring it up to the register. We can't order a car anymore so why do we need a "SALESMAN" ??? Get with the times big 3, If you keep making cars that no one ordeded then why do you need people to "try" and sell them??? I've been looking on the web the last few nights at some used Saturn Vues. Other then paper work I could have bought one on-line, driven to the dealership then sign a few papers and then drive out.

I blame today's mentality in general. No one wants to work for anything. Jobs are getting to the point where everything is automated and fool-proof. That's why I'm so irritated when they still manage to screw things up at the drive-thru! And not to ruffle any feathers here, but it seems like there are a lot of main stream pot smokers who can't seem to go about their day without being high. Where my fiance works, the sales manager's son works in sales. He's always high and still manages to get decent numbers simply because his dad writes up internet deals in his name. When it comes time to lock the cars up at night or rearrange the lot, he's hides inside. He acts like life owes him a paycheck. I work with a lot of young guys like that, too. My company hired the sons of boat captains...and all of their little buddies. None of them were worth a crap and us older guys have to babysit them all day long to keep them from getting killed.

John2002

Its all over...I'm hoping to retire in a few years but it seems no one else wants a 30 year job anymore...I get up at 2 am to get ready for work but its seems when I tell someone I've just met that they seem to have swallowed a sour grape. They all want to work when they want, its to long of a wait for them to acheive something it took someone else time to earn. My company (Holland) was bought out by YRC 5 years ago and most everyone there "has" to work there but doesn't want to do the work. Through some back stabbing agreement with our union they can now hire guys who are only guaranteed 6 hours and place them on shifts where they want. I know its the signs of the time , no loyalty , no respect on both sides but my one thing about it is...I don't want anyone doing my job....for that matter doing it for less.... I'm sure the world will get by with one less trucking company but the 44,000 employees between the 3 companies (Yellow, Roadway and Holland) will find it hard to do. Like GM did with Olds and Pontiac and Saturn....to many companies doing the same things and still the new car lots are full. And the new head of GM gave herself a raise.....haven't heard anything about the ignition recall in a few days either.