• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I have a couple of questions about convertibles and a few about my hatchback.

XxʣDxX

First of all id hope this is the right place to post this.
Ok so, i have two mustangs that are practically the same just different years. I have had a lot of fun in both but they have there problems.
I was thinking of selling one and getting a convertible just to drive in the summer but i have not nor do i no anyone that has owned anything with a rag top other the a jeep.
I have entertained the idea of just keeping it and not even getting a vert.
So i guess my questions are, even with a good top do convertibles leak at all? i no jeeps do but not much. i no the tops are expensive and the hydraulic pump can mess up.
i no foxes have lots of flex and verts even more but would subframe connectors fix this for the most part?
i understand that the money iv invested as far as aftermarket parts and fixes and regular maintenance ill never get get back.
Should i fix most of the problems with the hatch and try to sell it for a little more money or just sell it as it and explain what problems it does have?
Thanks for reading my post. Any feedback is much appreciated!

Last edited:

Sawmill

Old and tired
There is a FoMoCo manual specifically pertaining to their convertibles; stopping leaks and whistles and so forth.
My wife has a 2006 Mustang convertible. It's not as quiet as a hardtop, but it is quieter than my T-top '82. I don't think it leaks, but it only goes outdoors in pristine weather.
The T roof cars are not as inflexible as those with solid roofs, but unless one is intent upon SCCA racing or similar, you'll never know the difference.

black87

the convertibles all leak. they were made poorly. they took notchbacks and cut the roofs off to make them instead of the other way around. at least that was what I was always told

XxʣDxX

If i did happen to get one, i dont expect to to drive it in every rain storm, but i dont see me putting a car cover over it everyday either. I wouldn't be racing it either so i didn't think it would make a huge difference. I didn't think of the whistling tho, glad you brought that up, i deff would have to drown that out with music. I will check out the manual tho. thanx

Sawmill

Old and tired
I thought leaky T-Tops were forever. Once I got ahold of the Leak Repair Manual, I discovered otherwise. There are several adjustments to the door window that I never knew of. After following through the process in the book, I am now rain proof. Garden hose can still push past the seal if directed from the horizontal.

XxʣDxX

I just sold a t-top camaro last week, never had a problem with it leaking unless i used a pressure washer around the windows, right where it sloped down towards the mirrors.

broncojunkie

I know there are plenty of fox vert owners out there that would be willing to trade a nice ragtop for a hatch. Personally, I would take a vert or t-top fox over a sunroof. T-tops and verts may have an issue with allowing water in, but the factory sunroof design allowed water to stay within the roof structure and rot out the roof itself. A roof replacement on a fox is probably the most difficult body repair job on them and typically turns them into parts cars for all but the most experienced owners who can do the work themselves. Even then, the owners usually opt for finding a replacement car instead of tackling a roof replacement.

Sawmill

Old and tired
Susie's sunroof car stays under roof when it's rainy these days, but I think it wouldn't be too hard to extend the tubes so they drain underneath.