• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Greetings from Chicago!

SteveQ

Hello all! I stumbled upon this site looking around on line one night. I'm really glad I found it!
I just picked up a 1990 5.0 LX "7Up" convertible last fall and can't wait to get it on the road if winter ever ends around here!
Quick question to anyone who might know...
My car is all original with under 20K miles on it. I was told the tires were original also. They're in fantastic shape but after checking out the numbers I've discovered they were manufactured in 1992???
I was wondering if anyone knows if there were any recalls for the original tires on the 1990 "7Up's"?
I can't figure why the original tires were replaced after 2 years? I guess the original owner could have just smoked the original tires, but considering it's a one owner car with less than 20K miles over 28 years, I don't think he would have done that.
Any ideas would be helpful.
P.S. Anyone know where I could get some center caps for the 1990 turbine GT wheels?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Redtwilight

Shinigami
Welcome to the site!

No idea why the tires would have been change unless they had just gotten worn out, or they ran over something that they got punctured. Maybe even someone slashed them. Only the original owner knows.

broncojunkie

Welcome! Sounds like you found a nice fox! Are you planning on driving on those tires? I would be very leary about them, from a safety standpoint. Tires tend to dry rot over time. Weather conditions have a lot to do with how long they'll last, so in Chicago, I'd wonder if they're worth risking it. Here in WV, I've had them start cracking in less than 10 yrs. Even if they look fine, they might start showing signs once you start driving on them.
As for center caps, are you needing all 4? I may have a couple lying around. If I do and if I can find them, you can have them. I like the turbines and even have a full set with nearly new tires on them that I would sell cheap, but I'm pretty far from you.
Post up some pics when you get a chance!

SteveQ

Thanks for the warning on the tires. I have actually already replaced them. I did keep the old one's to include with the car if/whenever I may decide to sell it.
I actually only need one center cap but I wouldn't mind having an extra or two. I haven't been able to find many online and the one's that I have found are in awful condition. The one I need to replace is in great condition but when I had the new tires put on, they broke some of the little plastic clips on the back that help keep it on the wheel. I'm afraid it's just a matter of time before I lose it while driving. If you had one or two to spare I'd really appreciate it.
I'll post some pics as soon as I get her out of storage and back on the road, if and when winter ever ends around here!
Thanks for the reply!

broncojunkie

I just got off the boat after a 28-day hitch. Should be home this evening. Tomorrow, I'll go out and see if I can find them in the shed. I know I have some... finding them in my stash is another story lol