• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dorman replacement fuel tank does not fit (made it work)

88 GT Vert

Wondering if anyone has had any fitment problems with Dorman or any other replacement fuel tanks.
I purchase one for my 88 GT because the baffle had broken loose in my stock tank. The depth of the tank, top to bottom, at the body contact points ( where the rubber pads sit) is 1/2" to 3/4" taller. It bottoms out before the straps can get close enough for the bolts to reach. I can get the driver side bolt started, barely. The passenger side will not come close to reaching. Thought I was doing something wrong, so I tried reinstalling the old tank. It fits fine.
The depth is the problem. I placed a straight edge across both. There is a definite difference.

I want to return this tank, which I bought through Rock Auto, but I will need something else. Can anyone make any recommendation?

93Vertang

Wondering if anyone has had any fitment problems with Dorman or any other replacement fuel tanks.
I purchase one for my 88 GT because the baffle had broken loose in my stock tank. The depth of the tank, top to bottom, at the body contact points ( where the rubber pads sit) is 1/2" to 3/4" taller. It bottoms out before the straps can get close enough for the bolts to reach. I can get the driver side bolt started, barely. The passenger side will not come close to reaching. Thought I was doing something wrong, so I tried reinstalling the old tank. It fits fine.
The depth is the problem. I placed a straight edge across both. There is a definite difference.

I want to return this tank, which I bought through Rock Auto, but I will need something else. Can anyone make any recommendation?

Sounds like they sent the wrong tank. Call them they may overnight a replacement. There may have been production changes?

i.playhard

Must be wrong tank probably meant for the SN95 mustang I would suggest buying it thru LMR www.lmr.com they have everything for your ride!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

88 GT Vert

Thanks f0r the input.

Turns out the tank is correct and does fit. I checked around and found that this Dorman tank is sold all over the place and actually seems to be one of the more common replacements sold. Because of that I started thinking that it should work. I found a youtube video showing the exact Dorman tank being installed. I guess that I was being too gentle. Turns out you need to jack it up in place with a bit more force than I originally thought. After getting it in initially with some extra force, I had to remove it and replace it several more times to make adjustments on the welded flanges. I did not need to use a lot of force to get it in place after the first time. I guess the height difference that I had originally measured only was an issue the first time and was squeezed out after the initial install and the fully tightening of the straps. I did not compare the new tank to the stock tank after that, but I would bet they are now closer in dimension than I originally measured.

Regarding the welded flanges, the original tank only has three of the four flanges bent 90 degrees to clear the straps. The left rear flange, which was also bent on the Dorman, needs to be left straight or it will bottom out on the strap hanger. Also I found that the left front flange worked better for my situation if it was bent at a 45 degree angle. I also found that I needed to install rubber padding on the top back of the right rear side of the tank because it would not make contact with the existing pad in that area before making metal to metal contact. Unfortunately discovering and correcting all of this required removal and reinstall several times over.

Lastly, the Dorman tank does not come with a hole drilled for the filler tube strap anchor point, so a hole needs to be drilled. Make sure it's done on the outside of the weld seam to avoid a leak.

In the end I paid a lot less for this tank ($89 from Rock Auto), but I'm not sure all of the trouble was worth it. But then again I'm assuming that the more expensive products out there are made better, which may or may not be true.

Hope my experience can help someone else.

Last edited:

broncojunkie

I replaced the tank in my 88gt a few yrs ago. My local Advance Auto Parts store had it in stock for around $100. It fit perfect. No drilling needed and everything lined up just like the old one. I couldn't be happier with it. Glad to see you got yours figured out.

broncojunkie

Just for the heck of it, I looked it up on the website (Advance Auto). It looks like the part is no longer available, but it sells for $110. There is another store just down the road that still has one in stock. I think I'll go pick it up today. I have a feeling I'm going to need one for the 86 coupe I'm picking up this week.

88 GT Vert

Just for the heck of it, I looked it up on the website (Advance Auto). It looks like the part is no longer available, but it sells for $110. There is another store just down the road that still has one in stock. I think I'll go pick it up today. I have a feeling I'm going to need one for the 86 coupe I'm picking up this week.

Can you post the manufacturer of that tank if you do pick it up?

Last edited:

88 GT Vert

Change of plans. I decided not to get it after all. I'm going carb with the 86 and if I end up having to replace the tank, I think I'm just going to go with a different one. But here is a link to the part:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/c3/fuel-tanks/15386?krypto=PsYb5EEvSjfFoM26LItRZ4zYXI1Iooa0Egl+5ZfR3mojtPuX8uv7R1xESo4iduVkpfufsrQvHbrhXrzhvIVV+Qqxi4/ArQFPWXiECREnIm09XBo3d3YPd6C8zuPyLdXbCmL/SZLMa263Df9VSpjA8Hq9PvCY9+5/EgkAH0wTmxI=

Sorry to say but that is probably a Dorman tank. The part number 576-106 is the Dorman part number. Also the left rear flange is bent at a 90. It would be straight on a tank that matches the stock one. Also it does not look like the hole for the filler tube strap is there.

If someone wants to go that route with Dorman, the same tank is on Rock Auto for 88.79+9.99 shipping.

LMR has tanks that possibly are closer to factory but they are currently out of stock. A little pricier too, but probably worth it if they fit with no issues.

broncojunkie

$10 shipping from RockAuto? Wow. That's pretty good, compared to their normal shipping rates. I figured it would be quite a bit more. I spent almost that much on a window motor from them just last week.

88 GT Vert

$10 shipping from RockAuto? Wow. That's pretty good, compared to their normal shipping rates. I figured it would be quite a bit more. I spent almost that much on a window motor from them just last week.

Even more amazing when you consider that it came from New York and I live in California in the L.A. area. I know what you mean about their rates. I also ordered two other items on the same order as the tank ( filler neck seal and a pump pickup strainer) which shipped from the exact same place but in a separate box. The items weighed less than the box and the added shipping cost was $22.97. That was no bargain but I was in a hurry.