• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Disc break conversion (new post for a old question)

Neglected_fox

I plan on picking up a 94 with a 5.0 originally planned on just getting the motor but figured id take the rear end before I junk it for anyone who’s don’t this swap before what parts of the break system can be used ? And what other parts will I need to finish the job

Attachments

• DAD91909-8642-467E-B852-C314AC10EB60.jpeg
    DAD91909-8642-467E-B852-C314AC10EB60.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

One Owner 1982

I have never done the rear disc brake swap but I have been studying it. I know of 3 was to do it. LMR has a bolt on kit that runs about $900.00. Summit Racing has multiple kits with both 4 and 5 lug rotors and they are all different prices. I have a friend who did it and he bought a wrecked car and swapped the rear end to move it all over. I’m planning on using the LMR kit on my 1982 Mustang GL mainly because LMR is trustworthy and it’s a 4 lug kit and I have original TRX wheels on my car. Hope this helps you.

broncojunkie

You can use the entire rear end, disc-to-disc I believe. Personally. I've never been a been fan of the rear disc swap. Yes, I'd rather have discs, but I don't believe the cost and work is worth it. It definitely helps having a parts car!

I do know that the rear end housing is same width as fox. The difference is in the axles. They are a little wider due to the abs reluctor setup. Pretty sure you can just yank those axles out and replace with fox axles, if you have clearance issues due to wheel offset. There are several ways to do the swap, so I suggest using your Google-fu and doing some research.

I see you haven't mentioned the front yet. The 94-95 front spindles are well sought-after. They're a perfect fit for our cars. If I remember correctly, the spindles, calipers, control arms, and even struts all swap over. Grab the brake booster and master cylinder too. My 79 pace car has 94-95 spindles, control arms, front brakes, booster, and master cylinder with stock rear drums (5-lug axles, of course). Braking is really good and I'm not using an adjustable proportioning valve. If you go with rear disc, you will want to add the adjustable proportioning valve, from my understanding. You'll gut your factory one and use a plug on the old one. LMR should have how-to videos.