• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Did Ford Make a 2 Piece Rear Main Seal

desarey

Hi All,
I'm replacing my 4 speed with a 5 speed and wanted to replace the main seal at the same time, so I bought the seal from LMR. I received it an looked at the end of the crank, but I don't see the 1 piece seal. Am I blind, or did Ford make the 5.0 HO engine with a two piece seal? If so, I'm thinking I have to drop the oil pan but what do I have to do for the top part of the 2 piece seal? Thanks

desarey

I was hoping to not have to take off the oil pan thinking I had a single rear main seal. Here's a picture with the crank rear end exposed after removing the bell housing. Thanks for the assist 347HO

Attachments

• Rear Crank End.jpg
    Rear Crank End.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6

347HO

Well I'm just gonna guess you don't have a 5.0 HO block.

I had my early Mexican blocks machined to accept 1 piece seals.
Its not too expensive, just need to find a machinist doing it.

Good luck with your project.

Ponyprez

I thought by the time the Fox body came out that they had gotten the one piece rear main seal. Unless you cleaned it up before taking the photo, I don't see a reason to mess with it as the only weeping I see is between the main cap and the oil pan. They make a special tool for pulling the upper seal 1/2 through without removing the crank but it can be a bear sometimes to get it to comply.

Rivsrul

I just went thru this whole conversation when I built my 347. Apparently there was cut off with the 302 blocks from ford in regards to a one or two piece rear main seal. My motor is out of a 1985 mustang and it had a one piece but there are a lot of them that have a 2 piece good luck