• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cabin filter...heater or a/c duct...?? Need to identify and replace

81Notch

I'm trying to identify this part, but can't find any reference to it. 1981 coupe with a/c. If the nasty looking bit with the mouse nest attached to it is a filter I would like to replace it, but I don't even know what to call it. Located under the glove box, I'm guessing it's a vent for the heater and/or the a/c. Is this a cabin air filter, or something else? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0617_rs.jpg
    IMG_0617_rs.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7

Ponyprez

I'm trying to identify this part, but can't find any reference to it. 1981 coupe with a/c. If the nasty looking bit with the mouse nest attached to it is a filter I would like to replace it, but I don't even know what to call it. Located under the glove box, I'm guessing it's a vent for the heater and/or the a/c. Is this a cabin air filter, or something else? Thanks.
I believe that to be the cabin air recirculation air intake., this opens up when in max A/C mode and recirculate mode. I would suggest you take a shop vac and manually open the door via the lever at the left front corner to remove Debris. The foam pad attached to the door/flap is not currently available to my knowledge so be careful when vacuuming.

81Notch

Ok thank you. The car is at my mechanic's shop but I was there this morning to drop off parts and I checked out the air intake and realized it is not a cabin air filter per se. I will vacuum the mouse debris when I get the car home, as you suggest. I would love to replace the foam piece but if it's not available then that's gonna be hard to do.

Ponyprez

Good luck with your 81, I am in the process of straightening out an abused 90 7 Up convertible with many improper repairs and just plain let go. I am redoing the upholstery and have finished the back seat and passenger side front seat. I have just done both hydraulic cylinders and hose for proper top operation in advance of it going in for a new top. Gave it a tune up and am repairing/updating the console with drink holder/ashtray delete and will be doing an all new stereo system. Can you say "MoneyPit".

81Notch

Good luck with your 81, I am in the process of straightening out an abused 90 7 Up convertible with many improper repairs and just plain let go. I am redoing the upholstery and have finished the back seat and passenger side front seat. I have just done both hydraulic cylinders and hose for proper top operation in advance of it going in for a new top. Gave it a tune up and am repairing/updating the console with drink holder/ashtray delete and will be doing an all new stereo system. Can you say "MoneyPit".
You can't take the money with you when you go so you may as well put it toward something fun. I'm trying to figure out how to handle the seats in mine, they're in excellent condition other than the fabric has faded badly. The vinyl trim doesn't need a thing, but the fabric I would like to restore to a more original color, just not sure the best way to do that and I'd like to do it myself if possible. I have a Ford 1981 Interior Color and Trim Selection binder coming with fabric swatches, hoping to get a good idea of the original color. I love this "Vaquero" trim, but it's kinda hard to match, like equal parts red, orange, and brown.

Attachments

• 00y0y_f6le1Jg0Vnl_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    00y0y_f6le1Jg0Vnl_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 00H0H_j1FQEsdzqqz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    00H0H_j1FQEsdzqqz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 4

One Owner 1982

Do you know if your AC works? I just finished a major overhaul of my AC system on my 1982. Mine has a 2.3l engine but the same basic AC system your 6 Cylinder has.

Attachments

• IMG_5976.jpeg
    IMG_5976.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5975.jpeg
    IMG_5975.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5972.jpeg
    IMG_5972.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 2

81Notch

I don't yet know if my a/c works or not. Frankly, I don't even know if the stereo works, since I still don't have the car home! I saw enough good things about this car that I bought it as-is and I figure whatever doesn't work can be fixed eventually. Since it's been sitting since 2014 I somehow doubt I will turn the a/c on and feel ice cold air blowing in my face, probably more likely to have a bunch of mouse turds fly out of the vents. Either way I will get it in good condition sooner than later and may need to hit you up with some questions since you just went through all that.

One Owner 1982

Not a problem. I’m going to attach a couple of websites you will need to get to know. There are a lot of parts available for your car but there are some things you can only get from a couple of places.

One Owner 1982

lmr.com
cjpony
Parts geek
Rock auto
And sometimes Amazon
I’ve also seen a lot of parts on eBay but I haven’t had much luck with them.

Ponyprez

You can't take the money with you when you go so you may as well put it toward something fun. I'm trying to figure out how to handle the seats in mine, they're in excellent condition other than the fabric has faded badly. The vinyl trim doesn't need a thing, but the fabric I would like to restore to a more original color, just not sure the best way to do that and I'd like to do it myself if possible. I have a Ford 1981 Interior Color and Trim Selection binder coming with fabric swatches, hoping to get a good idea of the original color. I love this "Vaquero" trim, but it's kinda hard to match, like equal parts red, orange, and brown.
Isn't that the truth so why not spend it on the car. I understand your color matching issues. My new supposedly correct TMI interior is Oxford white but the rest of the Vinyl interior is more of a cream color (after I spend hours with a scrub brush and cleaner) and the hard plastics are a lighter shade of the cream color but the new paint is slightly darker. I know there is sun fading and I am not building a show car, just a nice driver quality. On the seventh it goes in for a new white top which will look great and hopefully by the time it gets back I will have the rest of the interior ready for reassembly. It seems like no matter how hard I tried to plan and purchase needed parts I still find things I didn't catch like retainers for the new hydraulic hoses, correct speaker wire connectors and a new gauge cluster surround to replace the broken one I found when I went to clean and repair the dash light dimmer switch but I know I will be happy with my efforts when I'm done as this will likely be my last car I refurbish and I hope to have it ready for the 60th reunion in Alabama next April.

Ponyprez

I don't yet know if my a/c works or not. Frankly, I don't even know if the stereo works, since I still don't have the car home! I saw enough good things about this car that I bought it as-is and I figure whatever doesn't work can be fixed eventually. Since it's been sitting since 2014 I somehow doubt I will turn the a/c on and feel ice cold air blowing in my face, probably more likely to have a bunch of mouse turds fly out of the vents. Either way I will get it in good condition sooner than later and may need to hit you up with some questions since you just went through all that.
You are likely correct about the A/C after sitting that long but I have bought cars like that in the past and been pleasantly surprised. My E-Bay special was advertised as having functioning A/C but it is barely reaching 68 degrees and is short cycling which leads me to believe it needs R12 which is nonexistent in the small town I live in. I am looking to retrofit it with a complete aftermarket system which replaces everything with the acceptation of the original evaporator (the part that resides in your dash). I have found there is a great deal of new parts available from multiple suppliers like LMR, NPD and E-Bay but quality can vary so beware. I just purchased new LX style taillights to replace sun faded and aftermarket ones on the car and paid extra for the Dennis Carpenter (about $50 bucks more) complete taillights, not just the lenses and being made on the original Ford tooling they are perfect. Good luck with your 81 when you have it home and if you are having it shipped make sure you look for reviews on your choice thereof.

Ponyprez

Poneyprez, what part of Alabama are you from. I live in Cleveland, AL
I actually live in New Mexico about 90 miles N.E. of El Paso TX. and am coming for the 60th Mustang Anniversary to be held in the Beautiful state of Alabama at the Barber Motorsports park east of Birmingham. I will be in my 90 7UP car if I can work out the bugs or my2008 GT500. I also have a 65 Fastback which is mechanically sound but needs floor pans in the front and the windshield properly sealed.

Attachments

• 65 with pepper.jpg
    65 with pepper.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20180409_143913 (2).jpg
    20180409_143913 (2).jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 3

One Owner 1982

Wow, I didn’t even know that was happening at Barbers. I live about 40 miles from it. Here’s my one owner 1982 GL

Attachments

• IMG_5774.jpeg
    IMG_5774.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5773.jpeg
    IMG_5773.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 3

Ponyprez

Wow, I didn’t even know that was happening at Barbers. I live about 40 miles from it. Here’s my one owner 1982 GL
Looks great, I remember when they 79 came out and the change was even more drastic then the change from 73 to 74. I liked and bought several II's over the years and liked them but I think the first four eyed (since 69) was a good looking car. My first Fox was an 87 GT convertible and it was one of the funnest daily driver Mustangs I ever owned.