• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Brass in oil pan

Whitefox97

Hello everyone, I just pulled the motor on my 1990 GT to take care of some oil leaks (ran fine prior to being pulled) and I dropped the oil pan to reseal it and i notice something in the pickup tube! It seems to be brass but I don’t know what would be brass that’s in the motor… does anyone have any idea where this may have come from or where to start looking? Thankyou! Also penny is for size reference 14C2E929-C82F-43F6-9824-F66337F46657.jpeg1252D86D-B135-42C6-B9B7-03EDFED61513.jpeg

347HO

The few things I know that are brass in a ford engine are; aftermarket freeze plugs, aftermarket distributor gear and bushing, cam and crank bearings.
I "tap out" after that...

broncojunkie

I thought about the possibility of a brass distributor gear...maybe one that didn't fit correctly and a bit got shaved off on initial startup. I don't think it would come off in slices like that, but who knows.

What about a piece from the insides of an oil filter? Did any of them use brass pieces in the anti-drainback valve or something along those lines? I know they're all pretty much plastic and tin these days, but maybe an older one would have had some brass in it.