• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

90 GT died on the highway

My 90 GT all of a sudden died while cruising on the highway, rpms dropped to 0 and I was able to pull to the side of the road. It was windy from all the cars passing but there was some smoke coming from what looked like the passenger side catalytic converter. No fluids at all on the ground or sprayed in the engine bay. Any ideas where I should look first after I get it towed home?

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

broncojunkie

Check for fuel, check for spark. Go from there. That should at least help narrow it down to where you can start figuring things out.

Check for fuel, check for spark. Go from there. That should at least help narrow it down to where you can start figuring things out.
I just checked for spark to the coil & to the distributor cap, I'm good there. I can here my fuel pump prime but is there a way I can check if I'm getting fuel up front without a tester. I'm not home & I don't have access to a fuel pressure gauge right now

broncojunkie

You can press in on the Schrader valve on the fuel rail... passenger side, toward front of the engine. If it's getting pressure, it should spray out pretty good. Just have a rag handy.

broncojunkie

Of course, that won't tell you if you have "enough" pressure... but will usually tell you if the fuel pump is pumping. I think you need at least 30# of pressure to run. If the fuel pressure seems weak, you'll need to verify with a gauge.

Of course, that won't tell you if you have "enough" pressure... but will usually tell you if the fuel pump is pumping. I think you need at least 30# of pressure to run. If the fuel pressure seems weak, you'll need to verify with a gauge.
But it should at least start with starting fluid right? I tried that to no avail

1989coupe

I've had to replace the grey box on the distributor before. Had pretty much same issue w/o the smoke. hope it helps.