• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

86 SVO Craigslist Find! $2800

Pretty beat inside missing SVO seats, SVO steering wheel, and SVO taillights. And alot of other inside parts.....worst part read the first sentance in the ad, it's a SALVAGE TITLE :(

Blown347

Staff member
Eh idk, a salvage title could just be bad luck on an otherwise good car. Might just take a little looking into.

Granted, theres a lot of original stuff missing from this one, but the stuff thats in it isn't in bad shape, it is just missing a few things. If I were to get an SVO a lot of the stock look would go out the window anyway :p the steering wheel, bi-wing, stock rims, all UGLY IMO :p i don't like the hood either except the scoop is functional so I suppose it could stay.

I love the stock SVO steering wheel, my first 85 GT had the same wheel except for the horn pad had a circular plastic emblem with the ford oval. You could lose the hood if you changed to a front mount intercooler also, not sure what you'd be able to change to with the stock bumper though. GL in your search weather this is the car for you or not.

I have purchased many salvaged cars for parts pourposes. I have come across 1 out of over 15 that was super clean and had me wondering why it was salvage. This case an un informed owner let the insurance company pay off on a minor bump in the front. '89 LX notch. Decided he was going to fix it himself and pocket the rest so on went a repro bumper cover, fender, and marker light. ZERO damage to core support. Paint match was excellent. Owner received new 'salvage' title and went WTF. Lost interest in the car and sold it. That particular car has been my buddies daily driver for close to 3 years and has never been an issue. So yes, Lee is correct on some cars being 'bad luck' on being salvage when it is a perfectly good car. But sadly most 'salvage title' cars are simply just as stated....'salvage'. And other than the wheels and MAYBE steering wheel could be swapped and be acceptable to me. If you are going to start ditching body parts etc then just buy a regular fox and not destroy a rare model like an SVO. My .02

Blown347

Staff member
Not to mention if your car is stolen you could receive a salvage title when it's recovered. I agree a lot of them are junk but sometimes a salvage just means you get a nice car for a cheap price lol

Agreed on both posts. Vehicles can have very little damage to warrant a salvage title imposed by ins. I have seen them get them for floods, even when the water didn't come near the car and only because they were in an insurance industry (flood zone) after a flood in a state), vandlized paint, turbo fires that had little to no damage other than just a couple of wires under hood with no other damage to hood or compartment (self extinguished quick fires). Very light hits only needing a bumper/header or fender with no structual damage when the cars were three, four or more years old, or theft recoveries for nothing more than a steering column housing and no other damage.

For many years now it hasn't taken much for a vehicle to recieve a salvage title. I used to buy them through the ins. pound. Yes they were great deals to buy and repair but it was sad knowing that the insurance companies were getting the people out of their cars for no reason other than for them to make a buck. I cannot begin to tell you how many people still wanted their car back and not totaled over the years. They could by it back but the car would have to be bought back from insurance as a salvage at that point. Not many people did because the car was worth nothing for resale with title stamped as salvage. Some of these were real nice with low miles and still did smell new inside.

Back in the old days, ( I really like that line). Most people had owned their own cars outright after 3-4 years old because of the relatively low intial cost to purchase cars and trucks at the time, even with a bank note. Granted costs used to be relative, but most people when had an incident paid most small damage out of pocket, or not fixed it at all. Back then you also never had to think about the vin# of your vehicle being tracked to any damage like today, no matter how slight. Fast forward 40 years and see the total cost now of owning anything new. Because now all vehicle damage is most always insured and usually any damage is reported to insurance. Not only is your vin# tracked for even the smallest amount of damage by Ins., but everytime you take your car in for anything as small as an oil change or service work, your cars info Vin/Mileage is automatically sold to many other companies through the particular corporate company you are doing business with. I have been at the ground level of watching Insurance Company fraud caused by the Ins. companies since they started getting aggressive with this policy. Their campaign really took hold in collision repair industry in the early 80's when they decided to total most 2-3 and beyond year old cars with nothing more than light bumps, theft recoveries with as kittle as $800 damage, or even light corner hits with as little as a 1,200 damage at the time. These were not totals at the time as most are not now. Their mission push was, and still is to get as many of the cars off the road from 4 years and older after incident. Newer cars mean higher 6 mo. premiums for the Ins. Company, and higher registration, plate and sales tax for the states (the ins. companies are now in bed with since mandatory car ins. in most states) with the new vehicle that has replaced the damaged one.
Great for the corporate billionaire and C. Red China (The main purchaser of our U.S. Steel from the vehicle and scrap recyclers that sell to them in this country) who lobbies them, Bad for the working middle class.

Insurance companies hiring business college grads to estimate vehicles and follow corporate ins. policy instead of experienced seasoned collision techs who could accurately write correct estimates was the start of it. Witnessed I.M.H.O. The criminal insurance industry is nothing less than the Borg to everyone. Hey, whenever there is a chance to vent, I'll take it?