• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

85 setup

stogie

So like I mentioned in my other posts I'm still new new to mustangs. Going from a Honda to a v8 as you can see that's a big difference so my current setup on my 85 gt convertible is pretty much stock besides a edelbrock performer rpm manifold and a edelbrock carburetor. So with that current setup I would like to get gt40 heads, f303 cams, upgrade springs and rockers, shorty headers to x pipe and I'm not sure what muffler yet would like slp, pulley kit, 4:10 gears. What do you guys think about that setup and how much power do you think I can get?

Will the gt40 heads work with the manifold I have and can it be paired with a carburated motor?

With the f303 would I have to worry about clearence? Or should I go with e303 I would like the f for the more aggressive sound.

broncojunkie

Pretty sure the intake will work with your gt40 heads...no problem. I'm no cam expert, so maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in on the clearance issue. Regardless, you will need to check clearance when putting everything together. You can get a better look at your pistons once you get the heads off, so you can see what your dealing with.

As for the 410 gear, are you running a t5 or auto transmission? I have a 355 in mine with a 5spd and it seems like I wouldn't want to go too much lower. I think a lot of guys run a 373 with the 5spd and 410 with auto.

stogie

I have a 5 spd. My uncle was telling me he was burning out 3rd with slicks with 373 so he said I would probably just be burning tires with 410. But I just wanted to up it that's why I wanted 410 but I'm still New so I'm not sure. But if 373 is better for 5 spd then I'll go with that

broncojunkie

I think that the problem isn't so much melting tires off as much as you'd be running out of 1st gear as soon as you stomp it. Basically, 1st becomes useless. My .355 rear feels about right to me, as far as that goes. I think I'd like a .373 a little better. Do some research, though. Some guys still like the .410 with the t5.

broncojunkie

I'm not real sure. I have the gt40 heads and intake (efi) to go in my 88 eventually and was told that set-up would put me in the 250-275 rwhp range, with a few other supporting mods. With the right carb, I would think you would be at least there. There are a lot of variables. Exhaust, mileage, tune,etc. I do know you will see a huge difference with a gear change, though! I would do that first... before any motor work!

I said I have all the parts for the gt40 set-upand I still may use it, but I'm really starting to lean toward a good set of aluminum heads. Quite a bit more money, but the other route seems like a lot of work for a little better performance. Just depends on how much you want out of it and how much you want to spend.