• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

84 GT Turbo Restomod build thread

Must have had a hell of a time connecting the strut since there is no weight in the car. Or did u connect it while the spring was still compressed???

rkuhn

Must have had a hell of a time connecting the strut since there is no weight in the car. Or did u connect it while the spring was still compressed???

The only way I could get the compression tool out was to drop the control arm all the way down, (hoping the spring didn’t pop out and kill me:eek: ), and slide the tool out between the spring and the control arm. When I connected the strut I put my jack under the control arm just under the ball joint and jacked it up as high as I could until the car body started to lift. Then my wife and I had to stand on the K member to get it to go down far enough to get the top bolt on. She wasn’t happy with me. ;)

rkuhn

Installed the rack today and will do the outer tie rods in the morning when I get some more time.
84Turbo001.jpg

rkuhn

Last Friday I stepped in a hole in my yard that my dogs blessed me with and twisted my ankle badly. I went to the ER Saturday but there wasn’t anything they could do. I just got home from spending half the day with the Orthopedic Surgeon. He came in after an ex-ray and a cat scan and told me he had good news and bad news. The good news was that I had two hairline fractures in my foot which he said was not a big deal. The bad news is that my ankle has a severally ruptured ligament that will possibly need corrective surgery in about six weeks or so. So pray it will heal on its own and not need surgery. Now I will have to wear this medieval torture device for the next six weeks. So it looks like the Mustang will be on the back burner for a little while. I can still collect parts though.
017-3.jpg

FoxBodyMustangs

Administrator
Staff member
Last Friday I stepped in a hole in my yard that my dogs blessed me with and twisted my ankle badly. I went to the ER Saturday but there wasn’t anything they could do. I just got home from spending half the day with the Orthopedic Surgeon. He came in after an ex-ray and a cat scan and told me he had good news and bad news. The good news was that I had two hairline fractures in my foot which he said was not a big deal. The bad news is that my ankle has a severally ruptured ligament that will possibly need corrective surgery in about six weeks or so. So pray it will heal on its own and not need surgery. Now I will have to wear this medieval torture device for the next six weeks. So it looks like the Mustang will be on the back burner for a little while. I can still collect parts though.
017-3.jpg
sorry to hear that hope all goes well...

Thats quite a device you have to wear through the healing process. Best thoughts to a speedy recovery. Those darn dogs, you would think they would cover back up the hole after the bone removal. lol. Good luck.

rkuhn

Santa came a little early to my house. My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I said rotors for my Mustang and here they are. I tore my foot up the day after Thanksgiving and haven’t been able to do much but today I hobbled out and got to work. I feel like I have hit my first mile stone with the car now that she is a roller again. I was going to go ahead and start working on the motor but have decided to do the body work first since I am still debating on what I am going to do with the motor. Mild mods or all out!!!
84Turbo001-1_zpsd39e770e.jpg

84Turbo002-1_zpsc02485cd.jpg

Santa came a little early to my house. My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I said rotors for my Mustang and here they are. I tore my foot up the day after Thanksgiving and haven’t been able to do much but today I hobbled out and got to work. I feel like I have hit my first mile stone with the car now that she is a roller again. I was going to go ahead and start working on the motor but have decided to do the body work first since I am still debating on what I am going to do with the motor. Mild mods or all out!!! It's really coming together. Looks great. Go all out.
84Turbo001-1_zpsd39e770e.jpg

84Turbo002-1_zpsc02485cd.jpg

rkuhn

I'll be off work till 1/3 so my plans are to knock out as much body work as I can. Today I will have a sanding party.

rkuhn

I’m excited about doing the body work even though I hate sanding. I was considering bead blasting some of the surface rust on my car but chickened out. However after putting the D/A sander on it it came out allot better than I expected. I will still have to put some filler over it.
84Turbo004-1_zpsda3e9d05.jpg

84Turbo003_zpscb245938.jpg

84Turbo002-1_zpsba28d11d.jpg

Before
009.jpg

I put some of this on it to help kill some of the rust in the pitted areas. I forgot to take a picture prior to putting it on.
84Turbo005-1_zps2e70eca1.jpg

Found a not so welcome surprise on the passenger rear quarter. I knew it had bondo on it from being rear ended before but I didn’t know it had this much. I am going to take it all off to see what the damage is. It doesn’t look bad from inside the car.
84Turbo001-1_zps220e024e.jpg

rkuhn

I have done absolutely nothing to the body since my last post. It has rained every day. It rains, and rains, and rains, and about the time it stops raining it starts raining again.
hsrun.gif
So I'm going to go pic up an engine stand today so I can get started on the motor.

rkuhn

This side is ready for some primer!!!
84Turbo002-1_zps2ba53593.jpg

Luckily this is the worst part of the body.
84Turbo004-1_zpsf430bf51.jpg

84Turbo003_zpsc3b999c0.jpg

I was able to hammer out most of the damage
84Turbo006_zps59be9348.jpg

84Turbo007_zpsbdaa9063.jpg

rkuhn

Quarter panel is smooth, flat, and ready to go!!!
84Turbo005-1_zpsb55c22d8.jpg

84Turbo006_zps81510aeb.jpg

She's ready for the sealer
84Turbo008_zpsa801e844.jpg

No time today though so I have her ready for first thing Monday morning!!!
84Turbo010_zpsea74d047.jpg