• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

84 GT Turbo Restomod build thread

I am interested to see it and yes this is the correct place for a build thread. Post away my friend :) My buddy Oliver has a Turbo GT T Top trying to get him on here but hes not a big computer guy....

rkuhn

I bought this car back in April of 2011. It had been sitting in a driveway for about 10 years when I went by to ask the man who owned it if he would be interested in selling it. I had passed by this car many times thinking it was a 5.0 car not realizing it was a GT Turbo. When I saw the sticker on the side my heart fluttered and I knew I had to have this car.
I had just finished my 85 Convertible and luckily I was in it when I stopped by. The old man told me that the 77k on the odometer was original miles, (I have no proof of that other than his word) He also told me that he has ran hundreds of young punks away through the years that wanted to by it but seeing what I had done to the Convertible he said he knew the car would be in good hands. So he sold it to me. I didn’t tell him that I was one of those young punks he ran off about twenty years ago when I stopped by and tried to by a 68 fastback he had sitting in his field and eventually rotted away. I figured I better keep my mouth shut.

This is what the car looked like when I first bought it. The elements were not kind to it but it was solid and complete. Also discovered it had a blown head gasket thus the reason for it sitting up. This is where it sat for 10 years.

014-3.jpg

It's new home
046.jpg

003-5.jpg

004-5.jpg

In April of this year I tore the car down
84Turbo005-3.jpg

84Turbo009.jpg

Cut out the old put in the new
84Turbo004-5.jpg

84Turbo015-1.jpg

84Turbo016-1.jpg

84Turbo004-6.jpg

84Turbo001-3.jpg

84Turbo002-8.jpg

Then me and a couple buddies made a redneck rotisserie and flipped her over onto the side
84Turbo004-8.jpg

84Turbo004-9.jpg

84Turbo005-7.jpg

84Turbo002-15.jpg

84Turbo004-11.jpg

Glad you started your resto thread. Your EFI Turbo is looking great. Super pic's on the restoration process. The rotisserie looks interesting. It looks to work well.

May I ask what type of primer or primer surfacer you used on the floors? It looks to be 2-part?

rkuhn

Now to the suspention

Stock 7.5 3.45 gear rear
84Turbo008-7.jpg

Old rear made new again with my FMS B springs. I kept the old upper bushings and replaced the lower ones.
84Turbo004_zps4f872361.jpg

84Turbo003_zps4e46b330.jpg

84Turbo001-10.jpg

84Turbo001-12.jpg

My bushings and ball joints for the front end
84Turbo035.jpg

84Turbo001-13.jpg

The front end is now ready to go back together. This is where I am to this point. I will keep you up to date.

rkuhn

Glad you started your resto thread. Your EFI Turbo is looking great. Super pic's on the restoration process. The rotisserie looks interesting. It looks to work well.

May I ask what type of primer or primer surfacer you used on the floors? It looks to be 2-part?

Thanks!!! I used self etching primer and single stage lacquer finish on the underside, inside and engine bay.

Its nice to see people saving the early versions. You picked a real nice one to save. A pretty low production t-top G.T. I can't wait to see future progess as the restoration goes on.
Great job and thanks for sharing thread.

Great build sir. My t top rusted in the same place must be a common leaky t top seal on the drivers side I bet. I have also had a section cut and rewelded too. Keep the updates posted as u can Id like to follow the build :)

rkuhn

This is how I paint my bolts. I know there are many ways to do this but this way works best for me. I try not to get any paint on the threads and take a wire brush and clean any overspray that gets on them after they are dry.
84Turbo002-21.jpg

rkuhn

I ordered my steering rack today and it should be in Monday. Once I put it on my suspension will be done. All I have to do now is put my rotors on and I will have a roller again. This is the rack I ordered. http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-3504A-KIT/85-93-Mustang-Power-Steering-Rack-Kit-50L
I have to say installing the springs was a major job. I rented a spring compressor from Autozone but getting it out once the springs were in was a little tricky. As you can see I chose not to put the dust covers back on the struts. My new struts didn’t come with any and my old ones were in bad shape. I won’t be putting allot of miles on the car and will be very particular as to where I drive so it should matter.
84Turbo001.jpg

84Turbo005.jpg

84Turbo004.jpg