• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

5 lug swap

Mike1990

Im looking to do a 5 lug swap on my 2.3 notch and i know from reading other foruns that the swap is pretty ztraight forward but i was wondering if there is any special things i have to do with the 2.3? Im planning on using a 94-05 8.8 and full brake setuo but i still have uncertianties so could somone shed some light on it ?

chaddystyle77

Im looking to do a 5 lug swap on my 2.3 notch and i know from reading other foruns that the swap is pretty ztraight forward but i was wondering if there is any special things i have to do with the 2.3? Im planning on using a 94-05 8.8 and full brake setuo but i still have uncertianties so could somone shed some light on it ?
Don't jump in & spend alot of money right off the bat. ALOT of parts are the same or will interchange. Like 8.8 housings are the same, the axles are what make it wider. And 28 spline 7.5 & 8.8 axles are the same. So, u can get away with using parts others think are useless. I got less than $250 in my whole rear-end. I just did alot of wire wheel stripping and bolt painting, to make it all look new. Just a thought or opinion thou. Good luck

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

Mike1990

Absolutly. Cause cash is something that doesnt exist to me. I was told by a buddy that works at a local scrapyard that i can get a full 8.8 from them for about 200$ and im going to reuse as much as possible but mainly i wondering about the specifics like if i can keep the stock booster or just use the sn booster/master and etc. Its a bit overkill for a 4banger but im trying to setup a solid base for later on

broncojunkie

You might as well go ahead and upgrade to an 8.8. And yes, you can use the 94-98 rear, but it's a little more involved due to the disc brake setup. Also, you may have some tire clearance issues. I believe those rears are slightly wider and your wheel offset can be a problem. Do some reading on it, since it's been a while. Seems like the rear end itself is the same width as fox mustang, but the disc setup is what makes the assembly wider. Either way, there's a possibility you might have problems depending on your wheel choice. You'll also need some e-brake csbles, iirc. Not sure if you can use the cables from the donor car. If you're wanting to stay with rear drum for cost and simplicity, just find a fox mustang 8.8 rear and then get a set of 5-lug axles (around $250 shipped). I believe those would be hardened axles, too... so an upgrade, as far as strength is concerned.

As for the front, cheapest anand easiest is to purchase 5 lug swap rotors. The problem is that not all wheels will fit due to the size of the hub, I believe. Best bet is to use 94-95 spindles and rotors. That will accommodate any 5-lug mustang wheel, I think, oem or aftermarket, as long as your backspacing is correct. The problem with just doing the 5-lug discs is that the center caps won't fit some wheels because the hub sticks out. I think you can use wheel spacers, but most people aren't a fan of going that route. 96 and later spindles aren't a good option, either. I think there's something about control arm length, alignment issues, ball joint location... heck, my memory isn't what it used to be lol! I decided against 5-lug swaps because I have 5 foxes and like the idea of being able to swap wheels/tires around. I may swap one of them some day, though.

Mike1990

Yea. Those are some good pionts but yea basically im just using the 94/5 rear and front spondles etc. The main dofference ive read is the abs is what makes it woder but im thinking of a set of wjeels that are slightly more inset than stock ns wheels as far as 96 stuff all i know is the spindles are thicker and something about the rear end is slighlty different

chaddystyle77

Absolutly. Cause cash is something that doesnt exist to me. I was told by a buddy that works at a local scrapyard that i can get a full 8.8 from them for about 200$ and im going to reuse as much as possible but mainly i wondering about the specifics like if i can keep the stock booster or just use the sn booster/master and etc. Its a bit overkill for a 4banger but im trying to setup a solid base for later on
I ran a stock master cylinder for a while. You just gotta split the one rear supply line to each rear caliper. It's not sufficient. I think all boosters are about the same, just a bitch to change. Yeah, use a SN master cylinder and u will be fine. I'm honestly probably not gonna run a booster anymore on my coupe. 13" Lincoln towncar rotors in front and 11 3/4" 99' Gt rotors on back. All free stuff!!! I do have a Willwood adjustable proportion valve mount between front seats, to control pressure to rear brakes. Works great. Stops so fast jts scary. I'm in a wheelchair and I use my hand controls, makes no effort at all to make it do whatever I want. Confuses people so bad sometimes they don't even ask.... if u got an idea- don't let nobody knock it! U ain't always gonna learn.... sometimes you can teach.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk