• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

3.73's or 4.10's?

87gtslowstang

Have a dd 87 gt with a relatively stock 5.0 and a stock aod.Just wondering what gears i would be happier with-3.73's or 4.10's?Has ac delete,smog delete,bbk shorty headers,bbk x-pipe,flow master 40 series mufflers,and a sve cai.

lyonmt

Depends on how much you drive. 4.10's will give you more "jump" off the line, but will run at a higher RPM on the highway. So if this is a daily driver, something you use on the highway or a touring car, I would go with 3.73's. If it's a weekend car for beating on, a drag car or for cruising around town, the 4.10's would be recommended.

Kang

"They " say use 3,73s for a manual transmission and 4;10s for automatics. I have a manual and I am running 3:55s ( I didn't want to go to steep for highway driving).

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
"They " say use 3,73s for a manual transmission and 4;10s for automatics. I have a manual and I am running 3:55s ( I didn't want to go to steep for highway driving).
I've read the same thing many times over the years, and like you with a manual I also went 3.55 for that exact same reason..... and I'm happy with the 3.55's

83stang

Like above stated 3:55 or 3:73s if its a daily driver 4;11 if its a weekend toy. I'm running 3:73 and its pretty dang quick, although I'm running a 5 spd.

Foxtrot92

I'm running 3.73's with my current bolt on upgrades and 303 cam and im very pleased with the performance. I'm currently in the process of big performance upgrades but will probably remain with 3.73's (no really planning for an all out drag car). The general rule of thumb with most setups is 3.73's you will run between 2,000 and 2,300 rpm's at 60 mph and usually around 2,700 on 4.10's with a 5 spd. like everyone has said... it's all about what your plans are for the car.

research, research, and more research. you can never ask too many questions or know too much about what you're doing before you do it. and I've come to find out that it's not only the numbers that matter at the end of the day. word of mouth and personal experience is some of the best knowledge you can obtain when building on any vehicle

best of luck :)

87_notchfox

just another notch among the rest lol...
i got 3.73's on my coupe with a T-5 and i like it. its got enough get up with them and not bad on gas. going to use the same on my 89 auto coupe if i dont fine 4.10's lol

FoxBodyMustangs

Administrator
Staff member
Have a dd 87 gt with a relatively stock 5.0 and a stock aod.Just wondering what gears i would be happier with-3.73's or 4.10's?Has ac delete,smog delete,bbk shorty headers,bbk x-pipe,flow master 40 series mufflers,and a sve cai.
I think you will be happy with 3.73 in an Auto for DD.. I just dropped 3.55 and could have went a little bit higher...

FoxFan89

I've got 3.73 in my AOD. It woke it up, and with the shift kit, really made it fun. But it does rev a little high on the highway, but its revs more like my older cars before OD when cruising at 60-70 mph. I would not go 4.10 for a fun cruiser, but that's just me. I am having my t5 swap done next week, and am hoping the 3.73 doesn't feel like to much gear. If so, I guess I would switch to 3.27, but if its no worse than the AOD, I will probably keep them in.