• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1988 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 not starting

Hello! I am new here and its an honor to join this forum! I've been having a problem with my mustang not starting. I know its not my starter. I thought it was the starter solenoid which I did replace before but the problem was still the same. So I put the old one back on because the new one fried. I did notice this squared piece thats connected to one of the terminals to the solenoid. When i do hit the squared piece, the car gets a better chance starting and sometimes start with no problem. Here's the link so you can see the squared piece I'm talking about:

StarterSolenoid.jpg

I do not know the name of it and it would be really great if somebody knows what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blown347

Staff member
That sounds like the solenoid itself. The piece that the box is attached to. Try replacing it they're like 30 bucks.

The connection for the starter is tight. The new solenoid ending up getting fried for trying to start up the car many times which it smoked. Replacing the solenoid itself will have the same result the car not starting. So I had the old one put back which is working fine. Would you guys know what that box piece that attaches to the solenoid is called? When that box piece is hit a few times with the back of a screw driver, the car will start.