• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1986 Ford Mustang GT

FoxBodyMustangs

Administrator
Staff member
mcdrive_logo.gif
Your Muscle Car Enthusiast Site​
Click Image for Specifications​

88lx elmo

CARNAGE 88 LX
Phil i my know some one that is about to start parting out there 86 with tones of parts it could have what u are looking for.

his name is Joe i think you have meet him before... older guy with 2 tone GT pushing 950hp. let me know if you want his info.

AT6svo

Yes, unfortunately it appears that he is parting out a perfectly good car for no reason other than profit.

I refuse to support assholes who do that. I will not be buying anything he has to sell.

88lx elmo

CARNAGE 88 LX
I was told to much rust to fix...i know he had started the prep work for paint and in the prosses found the rust.

AT6svo

The pictures I saw showed rust where the 1/4s meet the roof, mostly on the interior, which is very common on 79-86 fox mustangs & Capris. My 81 has it, my 84 SVO did and my 86 does too. There was one hole behind the 1/4 panel louvers about 3/8 an inch in diameter. An hour or two with a wire wheel and a can of Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator would have done the trick. That's the easy fix. And for a "driver "which he claims it was. Of course the long term fix is to cut it out & weld. I've had much worse fixed.

He has a lot of high dollar parts on the car. Its not the first car he has parted to make a buck.

My applogies to the OP in this thread. I still think your 86 is a very nice example of the breed.

Billyd1157

Ok I'm new to this forum well to any forum at all but I'm currently bamboozled by this particular problem I just recently purchased a 86 mustang gt the car is pretty well stock other then the upper and lower intake witch where replaced with gt40 setup the car is a non mass air flow car it has the tko 5 speed trans it starts up and runs good and drives even better but every now and then the car starts spitting and sputtering at first it was pretty dang bad but here's the messed up part if I flippd the switch off and flipped it back on itd fire up and run like a champ I've got i started off by running injection cleaner through the gas it ran a little bit better I decided to clean the iac bc it would stall at idle sometimes it would idle great right at 900 rpm then drop pick up drop pick up die cleaned iac the problem was still there so I figured maybe change the fuel filter wasn' that either previous owner changed plugs wires distributor and gas tank and fuel pump I'm very lost and any help being pointed in the right direction would be greatly.appreciated

Redtwilight

Shinigami
Ok I'm new to this forum well to any forum at all but I'm currently bamboozled by this particular problem I just recently purchased a 86 mustang gt the car is pretty well stock other then the upper and lower intake witch where replaced with gt40 setup the car is a non mass air flow car it has the tko 5 speed trans it starts up and runs good and drives even better but every now and then the car starts spitting and sputtering at first it was pretty dang bad but here's the messed up part if I flippd the switch off and flipped it back on itd fire up and run like a champ I've got i started off by running injection cleaner through the gas it ran a little bit better I decided to clean the iac bc it would stall at idle sometimes it would idle great right at 900 rpm then drop pick up drop pick up die cleaned iac the problem was still there so I figured maybe change the fuel filter wasn' that either previous owner changed plugs wires distributor and gas tank and fuel pump I'm very lost and any help being pointed in the right direction would be greatly.appreciated

It could be a number of things from just a vacuum least, to a loose / bad ground, to bad TFI, or even ECM.

Since the intake was replaced, check all the grounds, harness connections, and vacuum lines.

Have you checked the fuel pressure? It's possible the fuel pressure regulator could be going. At worst, it could even be a capacitor or two in the ECM itself going bad.

Sawmill

Old and tired
When my '82, granted a much simpler system, started to perform a die-start-die-start act the problem turned out to be crud in the tank blocking to pick up screen. When suction let up it would fall away only to be drawn up again and block the flow.
Long story, but the car sat for a while due to an electrical fault. Ran fine on the old gas. New stuff with ethanol loosened up all the sediment.