• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1979 foxbody trans crossmember.

Tyler.79stang

Recently purchased a very frankensteined 79 fox, the car had been driven with no trans ctossmember In it for who knows how long.. anyhoo. I'm converting it to a 5 speed and am using a t5 from a 4 cylinder mustang I believe it's a late 80s early 90s car and wondering if the 4 cylinder crossmember will work. Ps I already know what pilot bearing to order and what bellhousing to use for my 302

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

broncojunkie

You'll have to modify the crossmember to make it work. The early fox cars had a crossmember that was a little more narrow at the ends, where it bolts to the brackets under the car. So the later models will be too wide on the ends. You can cut down the ends of the crossmember to fit or you can cut and re-weld the brackets to fit the ends of the crossmember. Stifflers makes a really nice aftermarket tubular crossmember that is a little pricey, but definitely worth the money. I have one on my 79 pace car and love it.

Another issue is the factory "double hump" crossmember made for dual exhaust clearance. I'm not sure if the 4 cyl one is different, but the later v8 cars were redesigned to clear dual exhaust. My 79 cobra had the early style, which only had clearance for single exhaust. However, it did have an aftermarket dual exhaust setup. The exhaust shop just ran that side a little lower, which works but isn't ideal. The factory double hump crossmembers are easy to come by and usually run $20-30. I have a, couple extras, but no idea where they went lol

Tyler.79stang

Yes that is exactly what I need! Just out of budget lol! I went ahead and grabbed the 4cyl crossmember and exactly as you mentioned the mounts are wider but that can be fixed. And for now I will try and run my dual exhaust a little lower, not exactly ideal on Saskatchewan roads but it'll work for now.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk