• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1979 Cobra 302 auto

broncojunkie

I got rid of my 1970 coupe to make room for amother project fox. A 79 cobra. It appears to be all original, other than wheels and an aftermarket cassette player. It didn't run and has been stored under a tarp. State inspection shows it was last on the road in 2000. There is a lot of surface rust on the top surfaces, but repairable. The only real rust i have found is the rear hatch (I already have a good replacement) and the very bottom of the radiator core support, which will need replaced. Shock towers, frame, floor pans, torque boxes and even the fuel tank are clean.

The driver's seat is trashed, but the rest appear to be fine. I was able to find some nos material to have the one seat recovered.

I filled the crankcase completely full of diesel and let it sit for a week or so, while my hand was healing from a nasty dog bite. Once I regained use of my hand, I was able to turn it over freely. A buddy came over and we tinkered with it. Rebuilt the original 2 barrel carb, did an extensive tune-up, replaced battery and cables, and she fired up. Not running great, but I suspect some vacuum leaks and ground issues. It was pretty crusty under the hood.

received_10213786416310951.jpeg

received_10213844812050808.jpeg

received_10213844810970781.jpeg

broncojunkie

I may have already strayed a bit from the "pretty much stock" plan. Hard to pass up a good deal. I planned on having the c4 rebuilt, anyway. I had an extra one lying around so I sent it to a local guy who's well-known for his c4 builds. I got it back the other day. He hooked me up with basically a bulletproof rebuild...kevlar bands, shift kit, etc. He said it could take just about anything I could throw at it.

So I figure what the heck. Let's pick up a 351w. I have some 351w stuff lying around, too. A machined block, intakes, heads, etc. I contacted a buddy who has a running 351w roller motor. So I'm picking that up when I get time. I also spoke to a guy and worked out a trade on one of my extra toploader 4 speeds. So it looks like I'm bringing home another machined 351w block and a new forged 408 rotating assembly.

I always tend to shoot for the stars with these builds, which is why they end up taking so long. But one day, I'll be the coolest 86-yr-old fox body hot rodder in town lol!
received_10214277081697279.jpeg

broncojunkie

any updates on this project?
Well, I'm still collecting parts and junk. I have another buddy with a running 351w. Picking that one up as well. But in the meantime, I did some trading and ended up with a 351w block and 408 stroker rotating assembly. So I definitely have my options! I also may be picking up a fitech stand-alone kit from one of my 351w buddies. I've been on the boat for a month and have to work over an extra week. When I get home, we're headed to VA to visit family for Christmas. I may get to start on some body work, but to be honest, any garage time I have will most likely be spent getting the pace car running.

broncojunkie

I forgot to mention that I put new brakes and brake hoses on it. I also got it running enough to get it pulled into the garage. I'm going to try and tune the carb so it will run a little more smoothly. I'd like to sell the motor to make room for the 408w. I dropped off the block and rotating assembly to have it checked out and balanced. He's also going to assemble the short block. I forgot I had a new cam lying around, too. I may use it but need to figure out what kind of power, idle, street manners, etc it will have. I may be better off ordering a new one and using this cam in my 393w build next year.

broncojunkie

Got a call from my machine shop guy the other day. Block has been finish honed and checked out fine. The wife is going to drop off a new flex plate and possibly cam this week. Machine shop ordered me a balancer and everything should be ready in another week or two. I'll have to save up for a good set of heads, but that's ok. I'm pretty focused on getting my pace car all buttoned up (mechanically) so I can get it to my buddy's for paint.

broncojunkie

Pulled the motor and transmission. Closer look and I found a spot of rust at the passenger frame rail...lower shock tower. Not bad, but I plan on repairing it before it gets any worse.

I also decide to switch directions again. I picked up a low mileage non-ho roller 302 and stripped it down to the short block. Just going to stick with the original plan of a mild-build cruiser. Keeping ac and c4 tranny.

Other than pulling the motor, I haven't really done anything to it. I've been focusing on getting the pace car ready.

broncojunkie

Finally home after 5 weeks on the boat. I got off this morning and drove a couple hrs away to pick up a set of old D0OE-C 351w heads. I've jumped around so much on this car, but I'm still in the planning stages, so don't shoot me lol! Anyway, I wasn't even sure if I would use these. I figure if I didn't, they'll end up as a cheap upgrade on the 91 bronco I recently acquired.

But I was pleasantly surprised to find that they weren't exactly stock. They've been upgraded to screw-in rocker studs, upgraded springs with new keepers, new pushrod guide plates, and came with ARP bolts and a set of bushings for 7/16" bolts (to work with 302 bolt size). They literally need cleaned up and bolted on. Oh, and they were shaved down, as well. I'm running similar heads on my 88gt and they make pretty good power.

I'm going to try and do a little work to the car in the next few weeks, so I may be updating this soon.

broncojunkie

Well...9 months later and all I've done is some parts collecting. I haven't really done much to it at all, since pulling the motor.

So many other hurdles to get over before turning wrenches. For instance, I got a new mig welder which I'll use to fix the spot on the frame rail. It sat on the shelf till I could find time to get my tank filled and put the welding cart together.

I know I mentioned it in another post, but to say I've been busy is laughable. I've had very little time home. One of these days, I'm going to get a job shoreside. I couldn't tell you how many extra weeks I've spent on the river these last 2 yrs.

broncojunkie

Forgot to add my latest (still tentative) plan. I have a 351w block (factory roller) in the machine shop. Block has been machined. Had to track down a good crank, which I just dropped off to the shop yesterday. Hoping it polishes up fine and I can start ordering the rest of the rotating assembly.

The plan is to build a mild 351w with stock stroke, hyperutectic pistons, d0oe heads, and build me another t5. I also picked up the manual pedal assembly (early fox style without the quadrant) and I have a few odds and ends lying around (8.8 rear, flywheel, t5, bellhousing, tach, rocker arms, front spindles for 87-93 4-lug AND spindles for 5-lug [still trying to decide] wheels, etc.) I also ordered some various parts and have them on hand (electric fan, 3g swap parts, rear brake lines for 8.8, rear brake hose and bracket, etc). I may keep the mechanical fuel pump on this one, since I won't need to change the fuel system. I also have the correct timing cover and a new fuel pump on-hand. The fuel system on the pace car took a lot of time to design and install, so this may speed up the build a little. I'd love to have the car painted and running this summer.

Last edited:

broncojunkie

Haven't updated this in a while. Have had zero time to work on it, so it won't get much love this summer. But the 351w either is or will be finished soon. Haven't talked to my machinist in a couple weeks but it was close to being done. Still collecting some stray parts here and there. I found a decent set of American Racing mesh wheels for it. Paint is flaking off, but otherwise great condition (or will be once I do some painting and polishing). Here's the kicker.... they're 5 lug! They have the correct offset for fox and actually came off a 4-eye fox. My guess is maybe they were produced as an aftermarket option for the svo. I'm pretty happy with this find, as I always wanted mesh wheels on the pace car. This way, I can swap them between the pace car and the cobra.
Screenshot_20190531-215628_Facebook.jpg

broncojunkie

Quick update. Still haven't had time to work on the car; but the motor is together. I hope to start on bodywork here in a month... when I get back in town.

broncojunkie

Better late then never, but I managed to get the car dug out of the garage, turned around, and backed out into the driveway where I can start repairing the passenger side strut tower.
Sounds pretty simple, but that was about a full day of work....maybe a little more.

I might start grinding and cutting tomorrow. Picked up some sheet metal the other day.

broncojunkie

Hard to believe it's been nearly a year since my last post. I got about halfway finished with the frame repair and ran out of time. The car, once again, got put on the back burner while I was busy with other projects. The biggest project was a 24x36 garage I built.

A couple weeks ago, I made some room in the new garage for this one. But first, I had to get the car moved from in front of the attached (old) garage to in front of the new garage. I finished welding up the frame rail. I also found another small spot on the frame near the area I replaced. I went ahead and sectioned a piece there n as well.

I then sanded down the roof (surface rust from being stored under a tarp for years) and applied rust converter. It is still straight and solid and turned out nice, but I noticed some rust in the windshield channel/pinch weld. So I decided to go ahead and pull the glass. It was a bear to get out. It had been replaced at some point reinstalled with urethane.... normally not a problem, but it was thin along the passenger side, to the point where i couldn't remove it without breaking it. But it's finally out and pinch weld cleaned up nicely.
Screenshot_20210512-125430_Gallery.jpg

(Cont'd)

broncojunkie

If you notice the passenger cowl area in the pic above, you can see where I tried out my new d.a. sander. I took it down to bare metal and etched primed. I believe I'll end up doing the rest of the car that way. The old paint/primer is hard as a rock. It took some work with 60 grit on the sander to eat through it.

After getting the roof and windshield channel all sealed up, I went ahead and stripped most of the parts attached to the inner fenders and firewall. I found another suspect area, so I'll probably do some minor surgery there, when I have time.

Forgot to mention that, after sanding the roof, I pulled the car inside, where it will live for a while.

Next, I went to the rear and removed the hatch. I quickly decided the hatch rust was just too bad, but no worries. I found a solid replacement out in my storage shed that should work nicely. The hatch jamb area was great. A little surface rust at the top...otherwise clean everywhere else. Other than going through some parts and figuring out what I have and what I'll need, that's where I left off.

She's full of parts.... some old, usable stuff and several new parts I've ordered. It's a mess, for sure, but I'm getting to that soon.
Screenshot_20210512-130852_Gallery.jpg

broncojunkie

Here is a pic of the 79 cobra, 82gt (middle), and 82 capri (far). The 79 pace car is in the other garage. Excuse the mess. I'm still working on finishing the inside of the garage, as well as working on a couple old 4-wheelers. I always have way more on my plate than I should. I guess it beats sitting in front of the tv.
Screenshot_20210512-131236_Gallery.jpg

broncojunkie

I've been chipping away at this as I have time. I pulled the brake booster today and a few other small parts from engine bay area, such as the hood hinges and expansion valve. I pulled the front bumper cover/headlight assembly the other day. I did some cleaning and wire brushing. I may start sanding tomorrow.

I also got paint (base/clear) for this car. I met with a local auto paint supplier that mostly deals with body shops. They don't advertise, so I didn't even know they were there until a buddy mentioned it. They carry a few different brands, but I'm going to try Wanda brand base and clear. I have read some info about them recently and decided to check it out. Most of the reviews were pretty good. It was around $350 for a gallon (5 sprayable quarts with the reducer). Clear was around $175 for the gallon kit. Those used to be mediocre prices, but just like everything else, it has gone up. A gallon of Lesonal base was $800.