1. Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dismiss Notice

1979 Cobra 302 auto

Discussion in 'Members Build-Up Projects' started by broncojunkie, Sep 27, 2017.

1. broncojunkie

broncojunkie Active Member

I got rid of my 1970 coupe to make room for amother project fox. A 79 cobra. It appears to be all original, other than wheels and an aftermarket cassette player. It didn't run and has been stored under a tarp. State inspection shows it was last on the road in 2000. There is a lot of surface rust on the top surfaces, but repairable. The only real rust i have found is the rear hatch (I already have a good replacement) and the very bottom of the radiator core support, which will need replaced. Shock towers, frame, floor pans, torque boxes and even the fuel tank are clean.

The driver's seat is trashed, but the rest appear to be fine. I was able to find some nos material to have the one seat recovered.

I filled the crankcase completely full of diesel and let it sit for a week or so, while my hand was healing from a nasty dog bite. Once I regained use of my hand, I was able to turn it over freely. A buddy came over and we tinkered with it. Rebuilt the original 2 barrel carb, did an extensive tune-up, replaced battery and cables, and she fired up. Not running great, but I suspect some vacuum leaks and ground issues. It was pretty crusty under the hood.

received_10213786416310951.jpeg

received_10213844812050808.jpeg
    received_10213844810970781.jpeg

FoxBodyMustangs likes this.
  2. FoxBodyMustangs

FoxBodyMustangs Administrator Staff Member

keep them pics coming.. going to be an awesome build

broncojunkie likes this.
  3. broncojunkie

All of my builds would be better if I had more time! But thanks! This one is going to be left pretty much stock, for now.

FoxBodyMustangs likes this.
  4. broncojunkie

I may have already strayed a bit from the "pretty much stock" plan. Hard to pass up a good deal. I planned on having the c4 rebuilt, anyway. I had an extra one lying around so I sent it to a local guy who's well-known for his c4 builds. I got it back the other day. He hooked me up with basically a bulletproof rebuild...kevlar bands, shift kit, etc. He said it could take just about anything I could throw at it.

So I figure what the heck. Let's pick up a 351w. I have some 351w stuff lying around, too. A machined block, intakes, heads, etc. I contacted a buddy who has a running 351w roller motor. So I'm picking that up when I get time. I also spoke to a guy and worked out a trade on one of my extra toploader 4 speeds. So it looks like I'm bringing home another machined 351w block and a new forged 408 rotating assembly.

I always tend to shoot for the stars with these builds, which is why they end up taking so long. But one day, I'll be the coolest 86-yr-old fox body hot rodder in town lol! received_10214277081697279.jpeg

5. chad mcccance

chad mcccance New Member

looks like another cool project

broncojunkie likes this.
  6. Fox3d

Fox3d New Member

any updates on this project?

broncojunkie likes this.
  7. broncojunkie

Well, I'm still collecting parts and junk. I have another buddy with a running 351w. Picking that one up as well. But in the meantime, I did some trading and ended up with a 351w block and 408 stroker rotating assembly. So I definitely have my options! I also may be picking up a fitech stand-alone kit from one of my 351w buddies. I've been on the boat for a month and have to work over an extra week. When I get home, we're headed to VA to visit family for Christmas. I may get to start on some body work, but to be honest, any garage time I have will most likely be spent getting the pace car running.

8. broncojunkie

I forgot to mention that I put new brakes and brake hoses on it. I also got it running enough to get it pulled into the garage. I'm going to try and tune the carb so it will run a little more smoothly. I'd like to sell the motor to make room for the 408w. I dropped off the block and rotating assembly to have it checked out and balanced. He's also going to assemble the short block. I forgot I had a new cam lying around, too. I may use it but need to figure out what kind of power, idle, street manners, etc it will have. I may be better off ordering a new one and using this cam in my 393w build next year.

9. broncojunkie

Got a call from my machine shop guy the other day. Block has been finish honed and checked out fine. The wife is going to drop off a new flex plate and possibly cam this week. Machine shop ordered me a balancer and everything should be ready in another week or two. I'll have to save up for a good set of heads, but that's ok. I'm pretty focused on getting my pace car all buttoned up (mechanically) so I can get it to my buddy's for paint.