1. Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dismiss Notice

1979 Cobra 302 auto

Discussion in 'Members Build-Up Projects' started by broncojunkie, Sep 27, 2017.

1. broncojunkie

broncojunkie Active Member

I got rid of my 1970 coupe to make room for amother project fox. A 79 cobra. It appears to be all original, other than wheels and an aftermarket cassette player. It didn't run and has been stored under a tarp. State inspection shows it was last on the road in 2000. There is a lot of surface rust on the top surfaces, but repairable. The only real rust i have found is the rear hatch (I already have a good replacement) and the very bottom of the radiator core support, which will need replaced. Shock towers, frame, floor pans, torque boxes and even the fuel tank are clean.

The driver's seat is trashed, but the rest appear to be fine. I was able to find some nos material to have the one seat recovered.

I filled the crankcase completely full of diesel and let it sit for a week or so, while my hand was healing from a nasty dog bite. Once I regained use of my hand, I was able to turn it over freely. A buddy came over and we tinkered with it. Rebuilt the original 2 barrel carb, did an extensive tune-up, replaced battery and cables, and she fired up. Not running great, but I suspect some vacuum leaks and ground issues. It was pretty crusty under the hood.

received_10213786416310951.jpeg

received_10213844812050808.jpeg
    received_10213844810970781.jpeg

FoxBodyMustangs likes this.
  2. FoxBodyMustangs

FoxBodyMustangs Administrator Staff Member

keep them pics coming.. going to be an awesome build

broncojunkie likes this.
  3. broncojunkie

broncojunkie Active Member

All of my builds would be better if I had more time! But thanks! This one is going to be left pretty much stock, for now.

FoxBodyMustangs likes this.