• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1979 bumper cover help.

Marty

Fox for life
Does anyone know a company that actually sells a fiberglass front bumper cover for a 1979 notch back? Or what year can I fabricate to fit? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Redtwilight

Shinigami
Yes any from '79 -'86 should fit. But depending on which one you get, you may need to change your hood. '79-'82 has the hood that fits straight across at the bumper to hood line.
'83-'86 have a slight dip were the hood comes down slightly over the grill.

Though there are only a few companies that actually make a fiberglass front bumper cover for the 4 eye cars. Most of those are for race use as they have the smooth front air dam.
There is one that just recently started making one that moulded the '85-'86 grill upper half and '03-'04 Cobra lower.
I have seen another that did the same as above but used '99-'04 Saleen lower.

Marty

Fox for life
Yes any from '79 -'86 should fit. But depending on which one you get, you may need to change your hood. '79-'82 has the hood that fits straight across at the bumper to hood line.
'83-'86 have a slight dip were the hood comes down slightly over the grill.

Though there are only a few companies that actually make a fiberglass front bumper cover for the 4 eye cars. Most of those are for race use as they have the smooth front air dam.
There is one that just recently started making one that moulded the '85-'86 grill upper half and '03-'04 Cobra lower.
I have seen another that did the same as above but used '99-'04 Saleen lower.
It will be used for racing. May even eventually install the tubular front end and use a one piece front end. But that is miles and miles down the road I just want a cleaner look and I’m shooting for at least the 6” inch cowl fiberglass hood just didn’t know what would fit bumper cover wise. I’m sure there has to be some fab work that will have to be done to get the new style cover?

broncojunkie

Great point, about the hood! I wasn't thinking about that, but it could possibly be a deal breaker on bumper swaps!