• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

2.3L cranks but won't start.

Michael Rust

I have a bad crankshaft position sensor but when I bought the new sensor I realized that there's some clearance issues with the crankshaft pulley. Is there some trick to installing the sensor that I'm missing?

squekster

First make sure you have the right part. It is possible that your vibration damper
is worn to the point where it might have shifted a little. The installation is quite
simple you shouldn't be having any problems with it unless something else is out
of spec.

Michael Rust

I ordered the 2 volumes service manual and found out that when I tried installing the crankshaft position sensor I took out the plastic positioner which the manual says I should have kept it in. So maybe that's the reason it didn't work.

Michael Rust

So I have the manual to teach me how to install the sensor but my friend Bert came down and helped me time the engine. But when he did, he broke the crank sensor bracket. Does anyone know where I can buy a new bracket or do I just have to weld what I'm guessing is cast aluminum?

David93

If you still need that bracket checkout prestige mustang I'd call them only issue with them is they have a $40.00 minimum so for just that bracket it'd be expensive but if you need anything else I would get it all in one go

Michael Rust

So long story short, parts kept breaking on my engine and rather than keep buying parts to get it running I got a running 2.3L engine for cheap. I engine swapped it into my mustang and it was having issues with fuel so I replaced the fuel relay and it started and ran for 15min. However, afterwards I couldn't get it to run. Does anyone have ideas for what might be keeping the car from starting?

Michael Rust

Thanks for the advice about prestige mustang David93! After a few weekends at the shop I got the car running for a 30mile roadtrip. Now I'm looking for a pull apart or somewhere near south Mississippi I can get a door for cheap. My windows don't work and my driver's side door doesn't open from the inside

broncojunkie

Both of those issues are fairly common and might be easily fixed. The door latch and window parts that usually break are readily available and pretty cheap. Unless the door itself is damaged or rusted, it would probably be easier and cheaper to fix.

Michael Rust

Your right about those being common issues. But I think my regulator and motor are broken for the power windows and locks. Also my door latch is worn out and missing the connector bushing where it meets with the linkage. And the hinges are missing the roller pin so the door sags and the owner before me already gutted it down to the bare metal. I think there's just enough wrong with it that it might be worth finding the whole thing preassembled in a junkyard for cheaper.

One Owner 1982

I’m working on another common problem with Fox Body cars. My driver’s seat outboard aft mount has broken out of the floor. I ordered LMRs repair plate. Just bolted it in and it’s already strengthened the floor and mounts. Preparing the car now to get the plate welded in. I’ve attached a couple of pictures of the plate and it bolted in.

One Owner 1982

I’m working on another common problem with Fox Body cars. My driver’s seat outboard aft mount has broken out of the floor. I ordered LMRs repair plate. Just bolted it in and it’s already strengthened the floor and mounts. Preparing the car now to get the plate welded in. I’ve attached a couple of pictures of the plate and it bolted in.

Attachments

• CD06D5E1-07A7-43D8-A262-17F141C73107.jpeg
    CD06D5E1-07A7-43D8-A262-17F141C73107.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 3953BB1F-2D51-498B-B75A-10AE3416BC23.jpeg
    3953BB1F-2D51-498B-B75A-10AE3416BC23.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1