• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1979 Pace Car build

broncojunkie

Screenshot_20180309-003925-960x540.png

broncojunkie

Ordered me a new fan controller. I'm tired of messing with these. I ordered a non-adjustable controller. Set to kick on at 185 and off at 165. You can order different switches for it, I believe, in case it ever needs adjusted. The controllers I'm having issues with are the Hayden adjustable units. I'm using one on my 88gt with no issues, but can't get a good one for the pace car.

broncojunkie

Made arrangements to have the pace car towed down to the painter's house tomorrow! I can address the small issues after paint. The wife and younger (21) boy got her ready to go today. They also pulled the recaro seats out. May send them to the upholstery shop before she gets out of paint!

broncojunkie

received_10215301152658413-800x600.jpeg

Here she is loaded up and on her way.

Screenshot_20180319-051927-540x960.png

I ordered new side body moulding (Should be delivered today) and this decal kit.

Redtwilight

Shinigami
IS the painter just going to refresh the two-tone base colors then apply the Pace car decals and striping? Or do you plan to let him paint the striping as well?

broncojunkie

IS the painter just going to refresh the two-tone base colors then apply the Pace car decals and striping? Or do you plan to let him paint the striping as well?
All of the stripes you see on the pace cars were decals and are included in the kit, with the exception of (oddly enough) the small pinstripe on the body side moulding. They were painted for some reason, but I believe I'll see if I can just buy some pinstripe tape that's close enough.

broncojunkie

Oh, but I think he's going to apply all the decals for me. It's not exactly his specialty, but he is a phenomenal window tinter, so I'm sure he would do a great job. In fact, he'll be tinting the pace car after paint.

broncojunkie

FB_IMG_1522123042983-600x800.jpg

My buddy got her painted. He's going to start putting on the side moulding and decals in the next couple days. I won't be home from work for another 8 days, so the suspense is killing me. Can't wait to see it in person.

broncojunkie

I was off the boat for about a week before getting called back out. In the short amount of time I was home, I fought with the cooling system and brakes. The new fan controller simply didn't work. Three Hayden controllers later, and I gave up and ordered a different brand/type. Long story short, I ended up swapping intakes to get it installed. The intake (a knock-off Victor) had some fitment issues, so it was quite an ordeal. Happy to say that it's finally back together, running decent, and has a working cooling system.

As for the brakes, they're another issue. When I get home in another week, I should have 4 or 5 days to accomplish what I can. I'm going to upgrade to the 87-93 v8 booster and master cylinder. I believe my current new one master cylinder is bad. Nothing is ever easy.

Last edited:

broncojunkie

I still haven't installed the fresh rebuilt 8.8 because I was contemplating a gear change. The 8.8 I had a friend rebuild for me has a 3.73. I decided a 3.27 would better suit the 3.35 1st gear in my v6 t5. I have a 3.73 in my 88gt with the same transmission and 1st gear is pretty much useless. My buddy is in the process of swapping gears this week and should be finished any day now.

broncojunkie

Upholstery...
Another thing I did while I was home is drop the seats off at a local shop and order new upholstery kit and front seat foam for the Recaros. Fabric was $1k+, foam $400, and labor should be around $500. There were cheaper options and I hated dishing out money I could have spent on heads for the drag car, but it needed to be done right. I guess it's a good thing I'm riding over so much, because this addiction is getting expensive. I think I'm getting caught up on some of the pricier bits and pieces though.

Redtwilight

Shinigami
Which car are you planning the 5-lug swap on? Are you planning front / rear discs or keeping the drums out back?
If you plan to swap the booster and master anyway and plan to go discs out back on this one; then you might want to get the '94-'95 booster / master instead.

broncojunkie

Which car are you planning the 5-lug swap on? Are you planning front / rear discs or keeping the drums out back?
If you plan to swap the booster and master anyway and plan to go discs out back on this one; then you might want to get the '94-'95 booster / master instead.
I take it the fox v8 booster and mc won't work with rear disc? I was planning on sticking with rear drums for now. Any idea if the sn95 stuff will work ok with drums?

Redtwilight

Shinigami
I take it the fox v8 booster and mc won't work with rear disc? I was planning on sticking with rear drums for now. Any idea if the sn95 stuff will work ok with drums?

It may work if you run a propertioning valve on the rear lines.
Id run the proportining valve either way though, with discs or drums.

broncojunkie

Thought I replied to this already, but oh well.

Yes, I was planning on gutting the prop valve and running an adjustable one, regardless. I should be home from work tomorrow and plan on getting some stuff done before I have to ship back out 5 days later. I did some reading on the booster situation. I believe I'm going to stick with the 87-93 booster. For now, I'll leave the rest of the crappy oem brakes as-is, and plan on doing the 5-lug swap and brake upgrade in June(ish).

With a little luck, I'll be able to put a couple miles on the car and just enjoy it. It's still sporting the 7.5 open rear, but that's ok. I need some easy break-in miles on the new clutch anyway. My buddy should be finishing up the 8.8 (already had it done once, but I'm swapping 3.73 for 3.27). I was thinking about going ahead and swapping it in, but it makes more sense to do it with the 5-lug swap anyway.

broncojunkie

FYI, the sn95 booster doesn't fit the older cars as easily. I'd have to clearance the shock tower. Wouldn't bother me if I hadn't just painted the engine bay a while back. Anyway, it seems the 87-93 v8 booster, while not the best option, works well enough to do the job. Might notice a touch more pedal effort, but I'm fine with that. It will still be 100% better than the tiny brake set-up these early foxes had.