• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

So....what did you do to your foxbody today?

mustanggarage

I believe no tool is ever a waste. I mean he who has the most tools when he dies wins right? so you can never have too many. I swapped the steering gear on the jeep my daughter drives to school yesterday. I did that on my old yj a few years ago and borrowed the pitman arm puller from oreilly but since I had to do it again I figured might as well buy it. so now I have a pitman arm puller. will I ever use it again? who knows bit I have one now. also you never know what else you may use these tools for. I bought a transmission jack a few months ago that is for my lift. My Dad was thinking about changing the clutch in his 95 and I had been wanting one so I bought it. now I used it to help align things so I could get my stroker engine in, then I used it to help pull and reinstall the gas tank when I swapped the fuel pump. yesterday I used it to hold that heavy dang steering gear up so I could pull the hoses off and when I went to put the new one in. so I have not yet used it for it's intended purpose lol but I am still mighty glad I have it.

John2002

It gets to me when I have to move one thing to get at another...we built the garage new in 96 when we had just the 2 cars and I had less stuff... and with everything you don't need everyday always seems to need a place to sit till you need it again...lately when I finish a project I get to the point where I put the tools into a 5 gallon bucket and slide it next to the compressor and put them away later...the next day later...Now we have her dads car on the drive for a few days and getting any car out of the garage will be a chore...Still to cold here to attempt laying down the mat on the floor, I'm sure its to stiff to roll out and cut to fit. I'm going to trace out the patterns I need and lay it down in sections over the trans tunnel first. I have had it since November and it been in the garage since. As for that radio removal tool I got at O'Reily's for $6 .00... 3 second job and back in the little plastic case it came in and right into my OTU tool section in my big tool box...

Last edited:

mustanggarage

I am pretty fortunate I built a nice big toybox when I moved here. so I have storage. I love peg board so I put a lot of my commonly used tools up on the wall. then I have my big tool box and my dads big toolbox at the front of my shop. this keeps things pretty organized.

and down there in the corner is my project cart.

ugly beat up old thing, but I use the heck out of it. I pull it out whenever I am doing something and all my tools I am using go on it. the little vice I put on it is surprisingly useful too. I have done all kinds of things. with it, and when I am done with the project I clean up my tools, put them back and stick the cart back in the corner out of the way.

John2002

Yeah now thats a TOOL BOX..40X40???, The village where we live said 24X24 was the limit for a single family home, I went 22X20 and I have hated that $1000 more dession ever since. I had an issue with the mortgage company that bougth our mortgage without asking me if they could...long story short it was a second mortgage loan I got for $7100 to build the garage. The builder wanted about $6500 for the 22X20. I needed more $$$ for all the other add- on's that came with the new build. We had a one car/no electric garage when we bought the house. It was about ten feet off the side door and wasn't big enough for the van I had at the time. Our lot is 125X30 and a concrette ally but the yard was between the alley and the back of the old garage. Well after 3 loads of stone....not in the budget...and the wreck and haul of the old garage, we built the 2.5 car garage off the alley with a 1 car door facing the alley.... My big door faces the driveway but the driveway came a year later...Our next house will first have 2- 2.5 car garages in the "MOST HAVES" for our realestate agent to track down...I was out in the garage today for about 2 hours putting all the tool away I know I wont need to put the car back together. I also fixed that broken ash tray door but I didn't get the kit off line...I used my noodle and about 4 different sized drill bits and a small phillps head bolt I know I got somewhere and would need someday...LOL... That it on the car till I get my feet back to work, vay cay ends Monday...

broncojunkie

Mustanggarage...your pics make me sick lol! Not that I don't enjoy looking at them...it's just that it reminds me how pathetic my set-up is! The wife just helped me put up a shelf in my shed, which serves multiple purposes. It's mostly turning into a place for me to store parts and keep my tools. We got tired of climbing over piles of stuff every time we needed something, so I put up a utility shelf to get car parts off the floor. Now, I'm proud to say you can actually open the door to my shed "almost" all the way! :)

I've already showed her pics of your garage. We've been house hunting this week hehe!

mustanggarage

I let my wife pick the house when we moved here. I just had one requirement that I had a big backyard so I could build a garage. we live just outside the city limits so I have about 3 acres of yard. the only downside is we have about a mile of gravel between my house and the first paved road. it is a deadend road we live on so we don't get much traffic which is nice. the shop is 40 x 60 but 16 feet off one end is blocked off for a small wood working area, bathroom and dog kennel. here is a link to see how it is setup if you are interested.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44061

Last edited:

broncojunkie

I let my wife pick the house when we moved here. I just had one requirement that I had a big backyard so I could build a garage. we live just outside the city limits so I have about 3 acres of yard. the only downside is we have about a mile of gravel between my house and the first paved road. it is a deadend road we live on so we don't get much traffic which is nice. the shop is 40 x 60 but 16 feet off one end is blocked off for a small wood working area, bathroom and dog kennel. here is a link to see how it is setup if you are interested.
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=4745.msg66079#msg66079
Yep! Got it saved to my favorites! We talked about it a few weeks ago, but it has encouraged me to amp up my home hunting. I think I'd rather find a house with no garage, but enough room for me to build one. We found a good candidate the other day. It's in a secluded area, large lot with a beautiful spot for a decent-sized garage! House isn't perfect, but I have a construction background and love doing the work. So it might work out for us. Property around here is terrible, though. You don't get much for your money and a large lot is hard to come by...at least, with land that's not all steep hillside.

We visited my folks for new years the other day. They just relocated to the Bristol, VA area and purchased a house. It was really nice. Huge lot, newer home, excellent condition, wonderful neighborhood...etc. A comparable home in my area would literally cost more than twice what they paid! Heck, there is a single-wide trailer across the road from us on a hillside for $125,000! I won't say what my folks paid for their house, but it was WAY less!

Anyway, sorry to ramble...but I just get excited whenever I see what a great place you have for your mustang hobby. Thanks so much for sharing all of it with us!

mustanggarage

I love my shop. I spend most of my time out there. I sometimes think it is the main reason my Dad is still alive. He comes over to the shop and we tinker. he doesn't get much exercise besides that and I really think if I didn't get him over here to help me out that he would just sit in front of the tv and do nothing. anyway thanks for the comments. on the shop and good luck with your househunting.

broncojunkie

Stopped by the body shop today to see the progress on my '88gt. Just about ready for primer, but they did find a couple rust spots. One is in the 'ol shock tower area, so it will be fixed later this year when the motor comes out. Another spot was under the fender, near the drivers side lower corner of the windshield. Doesn't look like too hard of a fix, but definitely weird spot. He's hoping he can fix it without having to remove the windshield. That windshield was brand new as of this summer and ended up costing me a small fortune for some unfortunate issues I had with it.
Anyway, here is a pic as she sits:
20150102_175609-1.jpeg

mustanggarage

coming along nicely. new paint I think does more to energize a project than anything else. when the car looks good you feel more like spending time and money on it.

broncojunkie

coming along nicely. new paint I think does more to energize a project than anything else. when the car looks good you feel more like spending time and money on it.
I agree. The paint should be done some time in the next 2 or 3 weeks, but I'll be out working on the river. I leave in a few days and will be gone for 28. When I get back home in February, I'll be able to put the interior back in along with the new carpet. So the outside should look good, the inside will be nice...only thing left is the engine compartment, motor, and transmission. I've got a freshly rebuilt t5 to put in her, so I 'll yank it out, rebuild the motor and get that ready while the body guy is working on the shock tower. New paint will make a huge difference, though!

broncojunkie

I finally scavenged enough time through the week to finish putting the rear hatch carpet in, along with the seat-back mechanism and seat backs with the new carpet on them.

20150816_202423.jpg

broncojunkie

New headlight switch. Also fixed my fog lights. Evidently, the body shop ripped one of the wires out somehow. I'm planning on getting the state inspection done tomorrow. It expired last month. Going to try and take her out this weekend! Depending on what's going on, I may do the 3G swap. I've been having battery issues, so maybe this will help a little. Might need a new battery or something else. It drains overnight, but I'm only showing about 10mA draw with everything turned off. Not sure if that's enough to drain it, though. The battery is a cheap one, although, only a year old with very little use...car has been mostly sitting for the last year.

John2002

fastfox619...Would that be a "SELFIE" LOL...I should of had ours out this weekend, but the yard work and the wife's new hair cut came first....should be out on Wednesday and again next Sunday...last show in my sisters town and our D.A.R.E event for the village... I got 3 e-mails and a letter from the police department last week about it. ..I've had a few updates to my iPhoto on my computer, I hate what happens to the pictures when I down load them. I used to just down load any Mustang pictures and merge them all in one album....can't do that any more....

broncojunkie

Ok, so technically, this isn't what I've done to my fox bodies... but I'm sure it still counts. With 5 project cars, my 2-car garage is so overrun with parts that I don't think I can do much of anything. I tried to buy a piece of property on the road behind my house. Plans were to build a garage on it, but we couldn't come to agreement on price. I really needed a short-term solution anyway, so I put up a 10x10 shed. Filled it full of mustang parts and now you can finally walk through the garage again!

received_10213916828931185.jpeg

received_10213900254356831.jpeg
received_10213900253076799.jpeg

I still have quite a few parts to go through and move to the building, but it's made a huge difference already. I should have my 60 gal air compressor hooked up and running before to long. Right now, it's just sitting in the floor taking up space. I'm actually working now and won't be home for another 10 days, but the wife and step sons have painted the new shed, moved all the parts you see in the pics, and started straightening the garage. I hope to start laying some paint on the pace car and/or 79 Cobra soon!

John2002

LOL....how soon to Shed 2.0????
Saw a few FB's on Mecum this weekend...90 all original white hatch back GT sold for $10,000...I guess our time is coming....

broncojunkie

LOL....how soon to Shed 2.0????
Saw a few FB's on Mecum this weekend...90 all original white hatch back GT sold for $10,000...I guess our time is coming....

I'm already considering another shed lol! I still need to put up some stairs or a ramp of some sort.

I saw someone posted that 90 gt. Personally, I'm surprised they're not bringing that kind of money on a regular basis. Sure, there's still quite a few around, but most of them have seen their better days. The 79-86 models are getting particularly scarce.

John2002

Thats the trouble I had when I started looking....some way to far gone to bring back and some like the 7 Up program way to far out of reach...if they're out there they aren't being driven or have got much money involved in them that you'll never get back half of what you got in them when sell...I saw a C5 Covette with 62 miles on it go to the Bid Goes On part of Mecum.....62 miles....wow what kinds effort did that take???? LOL... I don't want to see you on a 2030 episode of American Pickers holding on to set of 15 inch Turbine Wheels....with caps....Good luck with your pole barns...lol : )

mustanggarage

Ok, so technically, this isn't what I've done to my fox bodies... but I'm sure it still counts. With 5 project cars, my 2-car garage is so overrun with parts that I don't think I can do much of anything. I tried to buy a piece of property on the road behind my house. Plans were to build a garage on it, but we couldn't come to agreement on price. I really needed a short-term solution anyway, so I put up a 10x10 shed. Filled it full of mustang parts and now you can finally walk through the garage again!

View attachment 1376

View attachment 1378
View attachment 1377

I still have quite a few parts to go through and move to the building, but it's made a huge difference already. I should have my 60 gal air compressor hooked up and running before to long. Right now, it's just sitting in the floor taking up space. I'm actually working now and won't be home for another 10 days, but the wife and step sons have painted the new shed, moved all the parts you see in the pics, and started straightening the garage. I hope to start laying some paint on the pace car and/or 79 Cobra soon!
looking good. I always say no garage is ever big enough. I have a 40 x 60 steel building. we have an attached two car garage, and I have these two small sheds. and still not enough room lol blackberry041.jpg blackberry042.jpg

John2002

I don't know.....thats getting into the category of......its in there but I cant find it..... maybe a Piper cub or some motorized farm equipment part...lol...just put it in there and we'll get it out out site...LOL