• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

91 GT converted to 3G issue

tizzyzz

Hi.
I did the 3g alternator conversion all good with voltage. 14.4 while running at idle. Today the gauge in the car show 12 volt it did show 14volt yesterday. Testing at battery shows 14.4 today at idle. Is the stock gauge just off? I checked all connections all appear secure.
I don't notice anything dimming. Got another 3G alternator as I thought it was the voltage regulator this alternator does the same thing. Checked grounds and even sanded the main ground to ensure a good clean connection

Any help or ideas would be appreciated

The conversion included a new 4 gauge wire with fuse and a new D plug for the alternator.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

John2002

Is it a sealed battery? Check the water level if it isn't...make sure none of the plates are exposed, they should be under the surface of the acid....Thats the only thing I think can give you a different reading....After I did my alternator up grade I can now have the head lights, A/C and the turn signals on at the same time, the volt meter does bounce when the turn signals flash but it stays steady when they turn off...

tizzyzz

Yes battery water level was fine,. It is nice being able to drive in the rain with wipers, lights, fog lights, and AC with no dimming. It may be a funking stock gauge, I temporarily hooked up my digital volt meter and when the stock gauge showed 10 or 8 volts I was showing over 14 volts on the meter.

Sent from my AOSP on Flo using Tapatalk

John2002

OMG....I thought the world of Fox bodies had fallen under....like mine did.....summer with out a convertible wasn't so bad...not having to move one car to work on another was like the old days...I'm a bit closer to finding out my issue with the idle and why I can't keep one....its been at a shop near the house 4 times now for about 7 weeks....yes....7 weeks...I have had to bring it home a few times because he (Sam) needed space and when one of his mechanics was on vacation....he has expressed that I only owe him for the new injectors and a few hours but my last conversation with him seems to be leaning towards " thats the best I could do" epilogue....he called someone he went through training with , both ASE certified mechanic and the new guy is 100% Ford trouble shooter....I won't find out anything till Thursday after the new guy sprinkles is ferry dust over my engine....Sam took off the plenum again and noticed the fuel pressure regulator was original equipment and leaking so he replaced that, the car holds vacuum and warms up nice but starts dumping fuel and runs like its loping (his word) ...other then that I guess it was meant to be....got to look at a few gems at this guys shop...all high end pieces of top to bottom resto's.....Baby blue 64 GTO 389 , 3 deuce'd convertible was in my spot today....