• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

HELP Mystery 302 identifying

benjardine95

Okay guys here's the scoop the grandarquis forums are full of idiots
So I own a 1984 grand marquis
It doesn't have the original motor you can tell it's been changed at one point
I personally did a head gasket job this past spring and much to my surprise I found it had flat top pistons with four vavle reliefs

Ford never put flat tops in a grandarquis until 1986 I believe or 87 and ford never ever put flat tops vavle reliefs in a grand marquis or crown vic . I did some digging and I believe only h.o motors come with flat tops and vavle reliefs am I correct ? Could I possibly have a h.o motor ? I well post pictures I took when I had the motor apart .

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

benjardine95

a83251de7f71b4b2c580e9d10009f7cb.jpg

RTtim

It is very possible to have an H.O. engine. What about the cam in the engine now? Is it a roller cam? I don't think they used roller cams in the early vics and marquis .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

benjardine95

It is very possible to have an H.O. engine. What about the cam in the engine now? Is it a roller cam? I don't think they used roller cams in the early vics and marquis .

Idk if it's a roller or not . How do I determine if it is ? My car is bad in the barn now m I don't think crown vic got a full roller ever if I remeber I think they had like a semi roller set up idk

RTtim

Just pull a lifter out and see if it is a roller lifter or flat tapped lifter. That will at least help narrow down a year range.

benjardine95

Just pull a lifter out and see if it is a roller lifter or flat tapped lifter. That will at least help narrow down a year range.

I remeber the lifters were flat tappet.

benjardine95

I doubt the motor was rebuilt. It's super strong running through 5000 km between oil changes doesn't take a drop of oil . And you have you run supreme or it spark knocks. It don't help that I advance the timing probably lol

RTtim

With it being a flat tapped motor I would doubt it was an HO motor but really hard to say with out looking at every part. That is one thing nice about the Ford 302 is how you can mix a lot of factory parts to make it run a lot better.

benjardine95

With it being a flat tapped motor I would doubt it was an HO motor but really hard to say with out looking at every part. That is one thing nice about the Ford 302 is how you can mix a lot of factory parts to make it run a lot better.

I read up that I'm 83 to 85 for had a non roller ho and I think 85 had the flat tops with four vavle reliefs . If I remeber correctly . I gotta do some more digging . I'm hoping it's a h.o cause then I have a good bottom end and I have a good start to my project