• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My "New To Me" 1984 Hatch

hollabakzach23

Good Evening All! My name is Zach and I finally picked up my first mustang. I've always wanted to build a 5 liter and I've recently had the opportunity to do so. After all of the research I've done it has not been a crazy build. I decided to stick with the stock bottom end since I have a spare motor I will actually plan on going all out with someday. E cam, ported factory e7 heads with 1.6 roller rockers and comp valve spring. Also decided to do the gt40 intake. Everything else has just been factory replacement (alternator, water pump, all new gaskets, etc.). Pretty standard "run of the mill" build for my first one which has been an awesome learning experience. The only off the wall part, and I know I will be flamed for it, is that I swapped the aero nose onto the front end because I had the swap already laying around off of the 88.

Now on to the fun part. I started with an 88 donor car that was only good for parts. I will be using the headlight harness from that 88 as well as the main harness to power the computer. I will be leaving this car fuel injected since that's what I began with. I will also be running the fuel lines and gas tank from the 88 once i rwplace the fuel pump since i already have the tank out. I have the main harness repinned for the mass air setup and the maf, computer, and my intake ready to go. Where we will be starting this project is the other wiring...

I bought the car and the harness coming from the driver's side of the firewall was cut completely, exposing a nice set of about 50 wires. I assume these are mostly coming from the fuse block. I will eventually trace these all down when I pull the dash but I am more interested in starting this car and hearing it run first before I put the time in the dash wiring. Now I may be going out on a bit of a limb here but all I had time left to do before I sold the 88 was cut the harness from the firewall that powered the starter solenoid, etc.

My main question is, can I somehow wire that harness into the harness already in the 88? If so, what is going to be the necessary wires needed to start the car. The other part I am unfamiliar with is getting the fuel pump relay involved. I know I will need to wire one up, but how will I go about doing so. Thanks in advance, and any help would be appreciated!

I will post a pic of the harness that I have and working with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

broncojunkie

Welcome. Would love to see pics of the project. I am a huge fan of the 79-86 models, so yeah...I'm probably the guy who gets all butt-hurt when people aero-swap them lol. I really just never understood why so many people choose that route, when a later model is easier to find and often cheaper and in better condition. In most cases, one could sell a four-eye car and have extra profit to put toward building an 87-93. Particularly, in a case like yours, where you are even using efi harness and other parts.

Anyway, rant over. I'd still love to follow along and see how it goes.

hollabakzach23

I know! It wasn't fully my swap. I bought the car with a 92 front clip and no bumpers so I used mine since I already had them. I have wanted to find a 4 eye for awhile but have never come across any.
fd6e9a757693bcb3d9dda0fc99d9f2ba.jpg

I only have one of when I brought it home. I'll snap some more tonight. I need to get some of the wiring harness to try and clarify my wiring mess for anyone else!

broncojunkie

Ok, then I forgive you lol! I started messing with these fox bodies around 1990. I had a couple capris, and just about every model year up to 88, I think. I remember how disappointed I was when Ford changed the body in 87. And those cheese grater tail lights were the worst lol!

I have an 88gt now, and like it ok, but I also have a 79 and 82. I prefer everything about the styling on the 79-86 models.

Anyway, I can't wait to see how it comes along. You should start a build thread.

broncojunkie

Oh, and I'm sorry I can't help on the wiring issues. I may be able to help you out, if my 88 (factory harness) is similar. But I'm working on the river for a few more days. If you still have questions by this weekend, I might be able to get pics or whatever you need.

hollabakzach23

Just wanted to keep everyone who cares an update. The first picture is the cut harness from the firewall. The second is the harness I have that attaches to the starter solenoid
7712ad0ed37273bd4f681a22d62320de.jpg
4b366af14cd5f9cad64fc17f804d8fa9.jpg

hollabakzach23

Just got the main harness wired for the mass air portion of the install. I will run that harness, the injector harness is ran, and the 02 sensor is ran. Can anyone give me an idea of the wires I would have to tap into just to get this bad boy started and I will worry about accessories later?

Blown347

Staff member
Check our stickies in the tech section, there is a complete set of ford shop manual wiring diagrams there, will help you match all the colors up! [emoji1303]