• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

89 GT 5.0 Door issue

Griff1419

I just purchased an 89 GT 5.0 convertible. I have found most of the answers on these forums, but I can't find one answer. My drivers door shuts and latches but there is still a little bit of play in and out. There is no sagging it just doesn't seem to close completely. Any help would be appreciated!

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
Is the door alignment pin aligning correctly along with the door striker?
Is the plastic bushing on the door striker still there or possibly cracked?
Is the actual door sticker adjusted correctly so the door pulls up tight when closed?

Last edited:

John2002

I replaced the rubber seals around both doors but my driver side still does't sound as good closing as my passenger side does. Could the car have been in an accident?

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
I replaced the rubber seals around both doors but my driver side still does't sound as good closing as my passenger side does. Could the car have been in an accident?

I know what you mean.... I replace my rubber weather stripping on both doors at the same time and neither one of them when you closed the doors every sounded that same as the factory weather stripping.

killerfoxbody76

I don't think so. When your drivers side door closes is it as tight as the passenger side is? How are your door hinge bushings? It sounds like that could be the problem.

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

John2002

The bushings are all original, the car had 81 k on it when I got it and it was in a right front accident. When I first got it both door hit real hard when they closed but after replacing both seals on the doors ( convertible) they sound different when we close them. They don't have any sag or play when I pull up at the end of the door , the body side moldings line up and the top of the door lines up with the top of the rear panel. The only thing I notice is a small rub through the paint on the top of the door sill at the lower body side molding on the GT lower body cladding on the passenger side. My driver side seal was worn through at the bottom where you'd drag your feet over, so I knew I'd have to replace that one. With all the after markets so-call oem style products out there, its really a hit or miss with any type of non-oem parts out there....( in MY # 3 reply, I meant "your" car might have been in the accident...

Last edited:

broncojunkie

Fwiw, I replaced my door weatherstripping recently and my doors don't close too well, either. You have to almost slam them and they don't sound like they did. Hopefully, they'll break in and work better after a while.

John2002

Aftermarket crap....no one can make any oem quality anything....I had a 07 Montego for a few months and the door seal on the body was rubbed through where the person who had it before me got in and out rubbing it near the striker. The oem I got from Ford to replace it fit like the old one and had all the bends in where they were supposed to be.It cost $50.00 .....