• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Clutch Issues

MancolD

Howdy there

I have an issue with my Fox. I was driving her down the road and I noticed that the clutch pedal was acting different. I noticed that the pressure started to be different a couple times and then I went to press the pedal again and the pedal went straight to the floor. The pedal now has no connection to the clutch whatsoever. I hit the pedal and it rocks back in forth like a swing.

I am guessing that the clutch cable may have snapped, but I could be wrong of course.

I, unfortunately, am a disabled OIF Veteran and can't get down to check things out for I have a jacked up suspension, so getting underneath the car isn't much of an option, unless it is on a lift.

I have some buddies that can help, but I want to make sure that I get the correct parts. So what is your take on the issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Semper Fidelis

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
I'd say you're correct with you assumption that the problem is your clutch cable from what you described.

From everything I read and heard over the past 10 years is buy Maximum Motorsports Clutch cable and everyone agrees. Read the entire article and you'll see why it's the best choice out there.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM-Clutch-Cable-Universal-Mustang-Ford-OEM-1982-04-P897.aspx

If you want a clutch cable, quadrant and firewall adjuster then is what you want.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Clutch-Cable-Quadrant-and-Firewall-Adjuster-Package-P385.aspx

Blown347

Staff member
Yes it's your clutch cable but the stock quadrant is plastic and they break sometimes too. So while it's usually the cable that snaps (or it comes through the side of the sheathing) the quadrant may very well be damaged. So I'd suggest getting a whole kit like the one above. The firewall adjuster will save a lot of headache getting it dialed in when its replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MancolD

I planned on getting a new firewall adjuster as well, if the cable was the culprit.

Thanks for the advice. I will check out the link as well.

Sometimes you want a second opinion before committing the money. Measure twice, cut once.

Semper Fidelis

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
I planned on getting a new firewall adjuster as well, if the cable was the culprit.

Thanks for the advice. I will check out the link as well.

Sometimes you want a second opinion before committing the money. Measure twice, cut once.

Semper Fidelis

Or do it once and do it right . ;)

MancolD

When it comes to woodwork, I can measure three times and still be a few millimeters off. I could never seem to get woodworking. Metal working and welding, I am a beast at. Wood is my Kryponite.

Semper Fidelis

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
I've been a carpenter for 45 years and the one thing I've learned in all those years is measure twice ....... then beat to fit hahahaha:)

90sickfox

I'm new and was reading through this post. I had similar issues...my firewall was cracked at the place the cable goes through. When doing the quadrant and adjuster its a good idea to make a plate to reinforce that area. I used 1/8 thick 3 by 3 steel plate drilled out with a step drill bit for cable adjuster to fit through. No more problems.