• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Whining power steering pump

Wingnut

I recently had the pump replaced in my 1985. Turns out it did not need to be replaced, despite the fact it was OEM it was working fine, never even leaked, but the shop had a change of staff and the old pump was tossed (against my wishes). The new one whined, and so was replaced again, and the replacement also whines. The shop tells me that they have spoken with the resident Mustang guru, who works at Ford, and he says that ALL after-market pumps are going to make this noise. It's quiet at low RPM's but not when I step on it. I think these guys are full of it, I've never heard of such a thing before.

Shop recommends a louder exhaust, which doesn't interest me and kind of irritates me that they'd even suggest covering up a problem instead of solving it.

Any comments?

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
If that shop told you that you need louder exhaust to cover up the whining noise don't ever take your car back there again. What a Crock!!!!
A buddy of mine got a new power steering pump from Rock Auto and it never whined in the 5 years he owned the car.

Blown347

Staff member
Yea did they put power steering fluid in it? That will make it whine for sure. These type of ford power steering pumps use ATF NOT power steering fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blown347

Staff member
Thanks folks. I thought as much. Maybe come springtime I'll flush the system. Am I correct in replacing with Type F ATF?
Yessir. Might add a little Lucas oil power steering stop leak, stuff works pretty good to recondition the pump and seals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
If you're going to flush the system:

For a complete flush, disconnect the reservoir return hose from the reservoir and put a cap on the reservoir nipple. Put the hose into a container large enough to handle the flushed fluid. Then, run the pump with someone adding new fluid to the pump. The new fluid gets pushed through the rack - pushing all the old fluid out into the container. Most suggest that with the engine running, the pump will actually move the fluid too quickly to keep up with by pouring new fluid in. So they disconnect the coil wire, and use the starter 5-10 seconds at a time to turn the pump over until you've flushed it all out. Be sure you don't let the pump run dry.

There are likely machines that can be connected to the supply/return fittings on the rack to flush it -- and simply drain the reservoir and refill with lines reconnected. Doubt you have one.

I use a turkey baster to suck the fluid out of the reservoir. Refill with fresh fluid. Drive the car around the block. Pull the fluid out again. Refill….. Around the block again.

Repeat until you're happy with the fact that you've mostly changed the fluid.