• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Oxygen Sensor

Jichan

My "Check Engine" light comes on at times and I've read that the oxygen sensor may be the culprit. Could someone please send a pic of the location of that piece? Is it near the catalytic converter? I own a 1991 2.3L silver fox body hatchback. Thanks in advance!

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
No picture but ...Under hood, passenger side, lower engine area, mounted in rear of exhaust manifold.
Or another way to say it is;
Its right above the cat and below the manifold. If you follow it then you'll find it (wiring is just below the heater core lines).
You might need a torch to heat it up and remove it.

Last edited:

John2002

If this is your header, then it just above the flange top bolt hole, the flat silver nut is in the 02 opening. I checked Walker mufflers chart and it showed everything after the header , not bunge for a 02 sensor in the pipes after the collector....

Attachments

• large.JPG
    large.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 2
  • middle_1.JPG
    middle_1.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 2

Jichan

Almost Stock,
Where would you torch it exactly? Would too much heat somehow damage the threads? I've never used a torch and am not familiar with the procedure . . .

ALMOST STOCK

Staff member
Almost Stock,
Where would you torch it exactly? Would too much heat somehow damage the threads? I've never used a torch and am not familiar with the procedure . . .

You want to heat the area around the sensor and the exhaust pipe and you won't damage the threads by doing so .
Have you tried the socket made especially for removing the 02 sensor? If not you should be able to find one at your local auto parts store or even Sears.
The are made with a place on the side for the wires to slip into so that you don't have to cut them, you just slip the socket over the wires and down onto the sensor.. you might try tightening t the sensor just a little to help break it loose and then try removing it.
This is what the socket for the 02 sensor looks like.

7 8 inch.JPG O2 socket.JPG